1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hairline crack, worried?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

I took the gun out today and was checking it out. It's a beretta S682X and there is a hairline crack going maybe 1/6 of an inch on the top right behind the receiver. It's an Anton rollover stock. I don't think I should be worried but what are your thoughts?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

fix it now or it will get worse and relieve it after the repair

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. MOP

MOP Active Member

Relieve the wood a little at the tang and it should be no problem.

4. SouthMetro Shooter

By relieving do you just mean loosening the stock bolt just a bit?

5. MOP

MOP Active Member

Remove enough wood at the tang so there is no direct contact with the tang. The recoil lug at the rear of the receiver should take the recoil, not the tang.

6. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

DO NOT "just loosen it a little bit".
    Being a "little loose" is often the cause of those kind of cracks.
    Is what you're seeing actually a split in wood...or just in the hard-shell finish some of those Anton stocks have on them..??
    If it's in the wood, Brownells has a product for repairing splits in stocks. It's essentially a cyanoacrylate "super-glue" type of adhesive. Get it in the split then figure out why it's happening. A refit of that stock to your receiver may very well be in order. Sometimes...as already suggested...a little wood relief is all it takes. Given enough time... A split in the wood won't do anything but get worse unless it is repaired and the root cause identified and addressed properly.

7. vdt

vdt Active Member

to repair a crack go to a industrial supplier and get some Loctite 401,it is remarkable instant adhesive,not cheep ,but either is your stock,use it first ,then if your stock has not been bedded and relieved do or have it done next, ALL stocks should be bedded and relieved if not you will see the effect if not done,if you need to have a tad of wood removed reseal the area ,i use Birchwood Casey Tru-oil

Victor Tomlinson

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Since you do not know what relieving means take it to a Gunsmith-stock man. Jeff

9. SouthMetro Shooter

southmetroshooter_2011_170810.jpg

There's an image of the crack. And I think I'll take it to my gunsmith and see what he can do. Odenthals.

10. drgondog

drgondog Member

For sure you have metal impinging on the wood at 5 o'clock.Don Steele is exactly rght on the process..

Fix it now.

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would fix it right now a good fix is to relieve it drill a small hole down under the tang and plug it with bamboo then seal it. It is very common with old Perazzi drop out trigger guns they set back with use and cracks show up. I now shoot them a little and then relieve them right away and seal them. Using Bamboo usually stops any cracks as it is so much harder than most woods it is very good under the sealed repair. Hope this helps Buddy

12. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Buddy (John) Ol' One-Eye:

You are a good man to be so willing to help with your experience. Thanks.

Mike

13. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I can't tell if it's the lighting but from the picture it looks like someone attempted to bend that stock for a right handed shooter and didn't properly clamp the inleted portion prior to the procedure.

Ed Yanchok

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think Ed is on to something there. Look closely at the fit

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

All he needs to do is show it to Stan.

16. esetter

esetter Active Member

Send you gun down to Dave Wolf in Waco Texas and he will fix what needs to be fixed and make the crack completely disappear. You won't be able to tell it was ever there and you won't have any further problems. He is the best I have found. Not cheap, but does excellent work and the turn around time is super fast.

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I believe it was Mark at ALLEM'S that fixed one for me on my Perazzi. He relieved the pressure and glassed the bedding so as to remove the problem completly. It shows a bit but will never be a problem. A refinishing would remove all sign of it.

Big Jack

18. SouthMetro Shooter

Got the gun back from my smithy and he said the stock has quite a story. Made by Hillmer. Then a buddy of my smith in Montana had worked on it. It then ended up down in Florida. Stock had been oil soaked and has been bedded so many times he had to strip the old bedding and start over on it. Couldn't repair the crack because it was oil soaked by the problem was that the ears on the wood were taking pressure causing the gun to crack where it did. So he fixed that and gave it 1/1000 of an inch (or something like that) of clearance. So glad to have it back and here's hoping I don't run into anymore problems with it for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.