1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hair trigger Perazzi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by colt 1911, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colt 1911

colt 1911 TS Member

any advice on a trigger that fires about once every 1000 rounds or so by just touching the trigger. Whatever the problem is it happens on both sets of triggers, I make sure to break the gun completly open all the time but it still happens. Can somthing be worn out to stop the sears from getting fully engaged?
    When the triggers are working properly lower barrel is 3.5 lb and upper is 3 lb pull.

2. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

My trigger got really light after about 6 years of shooting. It finally started to make me flinch because it was so light. I fixed it by getting a precision gold trigger.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Do you have 2 complete trigger assemblies each with 2 hammers ? Yeah the sears can get worn to a dangerous level and need the services of a good gunsmith to tune the trigger. I recommend Phil Crenwelge. I had a problem with my double release trigger with the sears Not disconnecting and I cured that problem by spraying the barrel selector tree and inertia block with solvent to get rid of some grit.

4. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

If it is happening w/ two different trigger groups it may well be that the hammers are not being cocked far enough to fully engage the sears. Take the stock off and eyeball it.
    I have several Perazzis w/ tens of thousands of rounds thru them and the sears do not wear. I admit that I do lube them tho.

5. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi colt 1911, you might start by replacing the sear springs. sometimes people cut these springs or they just simply wear out.

with the trigger assy in the fired position lift up on the back of the sear, then replace the sear spring and see if there is more tension on the sear. if the springs are bad you might get erratic sear to hammer engagement when you cock the gun. (open the gun)

there should be a sear spring plunger and a spacer on the pin that keeps the sear spring and sear spring plunger in place. many time these parts have been lost over the years. if you hae any questions call (573)286-9905 jd28hd@aol.com doug hubbart gunsmith

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If two trigger groups are doing the same thing, I'd check how it cock the hammer without the stock. The right cocking foot might be short.

Not likely the sear will fail within 100000 rounds. But check the sear spring as well.

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I think Steve W. is on the money. Check the cocking on the lower hammer. They should over-cock past the sear a couple of degrees and then slide back to engage the sears.

However, I also would have Phil Crenwelge take a look too!. 210-313-5988

Bob

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Any back and forth play in the trigger assy itself can creat havoc also! I had Phil fix mine at the Grand as it was doubling on me! Hap

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

About 50% of the Perazzi triggers I get in have the sear spring plungers missing and/or the sear sleeves.

Not sure why, but it they weren't needed, Perazzi would not make them for their triggers.

Your "tree" could be worn, the rear sear surface could be worn, and/or the front of the sear or the hammer notch could be worn as well.

WW

10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

WW - boy, is that ever true!! Prolly way more than 50% too. Out of the 14 Perazzis and several extra trigger groups that have been thru my hands only ONE still had the spring plungers in it.

The downside of Perazzis being so easy to repair is that every clot thinks they can do it. And they are way more easier to take apart than put together for those folks - easier if you just leave out a few of those pesky little bits.

Charlie

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

For the less than educated crowd, could someone please post a picture with an arrow to the sear spring plunger? Now you got me worried to check my triggers.

12. whiz white

13. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

That image is a bit hard to read....this pin??

[​IMG]

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The plungers are under that pin.

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

And the sleeve/bushing is around the pin.

16. whiz white

If you don't have the true sized schematic like the one I posted above, then go to my website and download the original sized Perazzi schematic.

The download here reduced my image.

I wouldn't be working on these without a good schematic.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.