1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Had to Put Down Our Golden Retrevier

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coconutjoy, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

It is a grim day indeed.We had to put down the Family Golden Retrevier.I sure didnt see this one coming as she was only 8 years old.Seems the vet says she has Liver Cancer.Good Hunting Dog as well as a Pet,she was the kindest and best naturered dog I have ever seen,will be missed huge.Every one here is watering from the eyes.Grim Indeed.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Really sorry to hear about that, I know exactly how you feel, we had to put down both of our Great Danes in December, still miss the big old lugs

They too had cancer, makes me wonder what we are buying for dog food

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your familys best friend, it is a very sad day indeed. Remember her for all the love she gave and the little she asked in return. Last time we had this to face we took a few months and went to a rescue and found a new friend that helps ease the sorrow.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Every time I hear this, I always send them this:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I tear up every time I read this as I remember my girls!!! Great hunters, great companions, they are part of our family. Lived in the house, slept in our beds, sat in the pit blinds getting soaked, chasing knocked down pheasants, grouse, woodcock, geese, ducks. They always can sense when you are depressed and just tend to bring their head under your arm or leg just when you need it. Friggin' uncanny they way they take on our personalities and NEVER EVER complain other than when I missed when I shot. I swear by Yellow dog would get so pissed off when I missed she would go sit with my Dad and our friends in disgust of me. I swear she even ate my soggy sandwich one morning in the pit because she was pissed at me for missing once again. What a hoot!!! I cried my eyes out when I had to put her down after 15 years. My dad had her out for a walk with his 16 gauge her last weekend with us. He knocked down a wood cock and she mosey over and brought it back and my dad said she literally said "thank you" with her eyes. She also gave me the same look when I put her down. She knew it was over and neither of us wanted her to suffer, she didn't deserve to lay on a floor at home pumped full of drugs to just keep her heart going. It was time for her trip and I truly believe we will be together again.

I know how you feel and I can not wait to be with all my dogs again someday!!! They are our children, companions, and the unconditional love they give is a beautiful gift from the Big Guy.

You will see her again my friend, you will. Just not yet!!!

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Sorry to hear of your loss. When it hit it hits hard. It took my family over two years to finally decide to get another dog. I trained the new pup (goldendoodle) for scent work & she turned out to be amazing. If I can show her the scent she'll find it.
    I just found out today that she has Lyme's disease. She is less than 2 years old. This past fall a friend asked if she could find a deer he shot. A quarter mile or more she found it, I was so proud of her but when I got her home I picked twenty some ticks off of her. That's what most likely got her this disease

6. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Very sorry for your loss. We had to put down our last lab because of cancer. We went out and got puppy a year later. It is amazing how much of the same personality that he has as the last one.

When you are ready you will get one. Best of luck!
    Rooferbob

7. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

It is a grim day indeed.We had to put down the Family Golden Retrevier.I sure didnt see this one coming as she was only 8 years old.Seems the vet says she has Liver Cancer.Good Hunting Dog as well as a Pet,she was the kindest and best naturered dog I have ever seen,will be missed huge.Every one here is watering from the eyes.Grim Indeed.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Really sorry to hear about that, I know exactly how you feel, we had to put down both of our Great Danes in December, still miss the big old lugs

They too had cancer, makes me wonder what we are buying for dog food

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your familys best friend, it is a very sad day indeed. Remember her for all the love she gave and the little she asked in return. Last time we had this to face we took a few months and went to a rescue and found a new friend that helps ease the sorrow.

10. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Every time I hear this, I always send them this:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I tear up every time I read this as I remember my girls!!! Great hunters, great companions, they are part of our family. Lived in the house, slept in our beds, sat in the pit blinds getting soaked, chasing knocked down pheasants, grouse, woodcock, geese, ducks. They always can sense when you are depressed and just tend to bring their head under your arm or leg just when you need it. Friggin' uncanny they way they take on our personalities and NEVER EVER complain other than when I missed when I shot. I swear by Yellow dog would get so pissed off when I missed she would go sit with my Dad and our friends in disgust of me. I swear she even ate my soggy sandwich one morning in the pit because she was pissed at me for missing once again. What a hoot!!! I cried my eyes out when I had to put her down after 15 years. My dad had her out for a walk with his 16 gauge her last weekend with us. He knocked down a wood cock and she mosey over and brought it back and my dad said she literally said "thank you" with her eyes. She also gave me the same look when I put her down. She knew it was over and neither of us wanted her to suffer, she didn't deserve to lay on a floor at home pumped full of drugs to just keep her heart going. It was time for her trip and I truly believe we will be together again.

I know how you feel and I can not wait to be with all my dogs again someday!!! They are our children, companions, and the unconditional love they give is a beautiful gift from the Big Guy.

You will see her again my friend, you will. Just not yet!!!

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Sorry to hear of your loss. When it hit it hits hard. It took my family over two years to finally decide to get another dog. I trained the new pup (goldendoodle) for scent work & she turned out to be amazing. If I can show her the scent she'll find it.
    I just found out today that she has Lyme's disease. She is less than 2 years old. This past fall a friend asked if she could find a deer he shot. A quarter mile or more she found it, I was so proud of her but when I got her home I picked twenty some ticks off of her. That's what most likely got her this disease

12. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Very sorry for your loss. We had to put down our last lab because of cancer. We went out and got puppy a year later. It is amazing how much of the same personality that he has as the last one.

When you are ready you will get one. Best of luck!
    Rooferbob

13. beeper

beeper Member

My heart goes out to you. We had to put down ours (my wife's when I married her) a few years ago. She had deteroriated hips and one morning when I called her to go outside, she just looked at me and couldn't get up. It seemed that she told me it was her time. It broke our hearts and my wife hugged her when she left. Never another dog because of that heartache.

beeper

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I share your pain. How well I know it. Doug

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss and understand the 'grimness' all too well.

The other day I took my 686 Beretta out for some skeet. This particular gun had been put away after I had to put down my old GSP Rusty. Every time I looked at the 686 I thought of my old pal and it hurt so much I couldn't bear to actually take the shotgun out of the safe - you see it was the go to gun for our many quail hunts. So there the gun remained for three + years. But while shooting skeet with it the other day I realized the pain of loosing Rusty was mostly gone although the good memories were strong as ever.

They break our hearts in the end but feed our soles for the duration.

16. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss. My wife and I have our 2 labs ashes right on our fireplace mantle. We lost them 1 and 2 years ago. Time helps things get better, but we still miss them terribly.

We haven't thought too much about another one yet, but one day I might surprise her with a little black pup.

God bless and comfort you.

17. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

SOrry for your loss.
    I went and took my 4 year old Golden grand dog "Bailey"for a run after I read your post. They are indeed family members and a BIG part of our lives and memories.
    Jim

18. nm3

nm3 Member

Unfortunately, like many others, I know your pain too well. Words cannot describe the hurt. I can tell you a new pup can ease the pain until it goes away as time will heal the pain of your loss...

19. hoot619

hoot619 Member

That the rough part of being a dog owner when they leave us it really hurts.
    Just try and remember the happy times with them, I know it still hurts terribly.
    Ken U

20. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

Thanks to all you guys for the posts,it does indeed help.Whats really sad about this situation is the Dog was really close to my oldest son,followed him everywear,sleep on his bed and really loved him.My son is really taken this hard as he only two months ago lost his best friend in a Offshore fishing accident.We are buring the Dog tommorrow on our property a few yards from where she loved to run.It has been a stessful couple days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.