1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Had my blood checked for LEAD...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have been pouring sinkers and bullets for over 25 years, been making shot for 15 years, been loading for 33 years.. I even carried a lead civil war "Williams Cleaner" bullet I dug metal detecting in my pocket for good luck, for 10 years.. So I have been in contact with lead daily for years and years..
    I have been acting stranger lately than I normally do (lol)so I convinced myself it was from all the lead contanimation that I have built up in my system..
    Went to the hospital and had my blood drawn.. test came back this morning.. normal is 0-19.. mine read a whopping 5! so.. now I have to find something else to blame my strange behavior on...lolol..

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Thanks for the info Cloud and good to hear you are in good health. I have wondered this myself as I have made fishing lures and handled a sizeable amount of lead over the years. This kind of puts my mind at ease.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Had mine checked also about 3 years ago and it came back 11 I have been casting and loading since the 60's

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Me too. I needed to get some blood work done so when the nurses will filling out the form I told them to have them check for lead while they were doing the tests. They said they had to know why. So I told them I have a small arms ammunition factory buried under my house. Interesting reaction from the nurses. Then they told I better reconsider because if I did have high lead the County Health Department would have to check my wife and kids too. So????? And they might even have to check your house. Okay, be sure they have a warrant.

So when I go to get the tests I get the same warnings from the lab techies and nurses.

Test came well within normal. When I saw the doctor he found the test interesting. He had just moved into the area and wanted to know where he could go play shotguns. It turned out bought one of those home defense ninja shotguns and wanted to know about that.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I was told by some guys that mine shot that their levels were off the chart. I was watching them work, they were wearing respirators but they were black with dust. Dangerous work.

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Always a worry that lead could be inhailed also . Years ago we use to polish coins with liquid Mercury using our fingers and I still have the stuff . Never had that check up done in all the blood work thats been done .

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Handling lead is not a problem, the problem is over reaching government and over educated authority's saying otherwise!

Even if you never ever handle a piece of lead, you have some naturally in your body.

If you haven't kept up with the above type people, they are now saying the cereal "Captain Crunch" is "Bad" for you.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My abnormal behavior is due to the lack of alcohol & tobacco products in the system.....

Life just ain't as much fun without having at least 4 vices.....

Curt

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

blkcloud:

Congrats on your good test results.

You've obviously had substantial exposure to lead. Your test results make it equally obvious you have done a good job of minimizing ingestion/absorption.

Simple hygiene goes a long way. For example, when folks handle bags of shot, their hands ARE contaminated. Read a bag and the contents consist of lead, antimony, and arsenic. They're all toxic heavy metals which the human body will absorb and has great difficulty eliminating.

Prompt and thorough hand washing after exposure goes a long way. Handling food (eating a sandwich for example) or smoking with contaminated hands is out of the question since it guarantees ingestion or inhalation.

Lead poisoning is not to be taken lightly. Shot and other lead products should be strictly off limits to kids unless they understand the risks and are responsible enough to act accordingly.

I mention kid exposure because two or three years ago I insulted the heck out of some well meaning but uninformed dufus who allowed his little ones to build 'forts' out of 25 lb. shot bags. Kids young enough to be interested in building fantasy forts clearly shouldn't be allowed to expose themselves in this way.

sissy

PS: Might you be suffering a bout of middle age crazy?? : )

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

Knew a fella at work,He started shaking and his hair turned green.Ahem,,,UNION finally convinced company to test him for lead poisoning,came back positive,if it wasn't for the UNION,he would've died.Auto industry,1985,,

Doug H.

11. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi

I got tested several years ago, results were negative.

Sears employee had to have a blood procedure of some kind he was really sick.

I suppose it comes down to your system and other factors.

The auto industry used to lead in each joint in a care body.

Take care,

Jim

12. larryjk

larryjk Member

I have been in contact with firearms and ammunition almost every day for years. The local indoor range was tested by EPA and they said it was one of the cleanest they had seen.
    You want to wash your hands thoroughly after handling lead, shooting, etc. Wash the first time with cold water because it doesn't open the pores in your skin. Then wash again with soapy warm water. Always wash before eating or handling food.
    Ingesting vitamin C may be useful since it was found to be very useful in helping babies shed lead out of their blood.
    In our pistol shooting club, the highest lead levels were in two fellows who did commercial bullet casting and three fellows who were auto mechanics.
    My lead levels have always been low, even though I cast pistol bullets occasionally.

13. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A test for lead in your blood....Nuts......a farmer should just as well get a blood test for dirt, Or maybe a blood test for the effects of long term overexposure to radiation........right. You get shot and they find lead in your blood.....right ROFLMAO

Lead does not stay in your blood, so having a blood test for long term exposure to it if worthless.

The reason the lead miners levels are so high is that they are exposed to it regularly and in high levels.

If you work with lead for a living, then a blood test may be of use to monitor your exposure to lead but if occasionally it may be gone from your blood at the time of the test.

Like alcohol.....you could destroy your body from alcohol, but never test high for it in a blood test.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe if I had my hinder checked they would find a substantial amount of lead.

At least my wife thinks so.

HM

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to keep your lead number low, don't eat the lead. HMB

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

You can check for a blue line along your gum, which is a sign of chronic poisoning. Chronic poisoning is not detected in blood level testing, although looking at the blood cells in under a microscope can show signs of it (some cells will be deformed).

You may have sub-clinical levels in your body tissues and it would not be detected by screening. However, subclinical levels are a known cause of abdominal pain, sleep problems, headaches, muscle pain, and more.

Even though there are those of you who scoff, it is best to use the precautions described above. I spent a number of years in biomedical research, and the threat is real, believe me.

17. 221

pulllll.... but it does not stay floating in your blood.

Recurvy explained it rather well, you don't have to believe me, look it up yourself.

18. 221

pulllllll.....I just did your work for you......are ya happy?????????

<EM>"Once lead gets into the body, it can stay here for a long time. It is stored in three places: the blood, body organs, and bones. Lead stays in the blood about a month, in body organs for several months, but can remain in the bones for years. It affects the brain and nervous system, reproductive capabilities, the kidneys, the digestive system, and the body's ability to make blood"</EM>

If it's been in your body more than a month....you will need a biopsy.....that's why looking for long term affects from lead exposure with a blood test are a waste of time............but you already knew that, right smart guy.

19. 221

Rick....YES

They tested your blood because you asked for it and to verify if you have had any RECENT high exposure to lead.

That's why the miners will have lead in their blood......2 years from now they will test clean if they quit, but the lead will still be in their body.

20. 221

Rick B....not a problem, actually I'm glad to help. What ruffles me is, the guys that continue to BS people about how harmless lead is and all those that claim to have been exposed to it for ever and absolutely have no lead in their body because they had a blood test.

Y'all can melt all the lead you want, I've learned my lesson......

KEEP YOUR KIDS AWAY FROM MAKING SHOT

There will never be a price for shot that will be high enough to get me to make my own. The fumes are deadly, lead dust is deadly. If you have ever been to an indoor range the first thing you'll notice is the taste and smell of lead.

SHOOTING OUTDOORS, is a totally different type of exposure, basically a non issue.

Something, you that make your own shot should consider, is the vast amount of lead you are recycling......to a bullet caster 100lbs of lead was a lot to cast....I hear of you guys going through tons........Think about it.....it's your health and losing it is a bitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.