1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Had my ammo checked three times today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omgb, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I was at OakTree in Newhall CA today shooting skeet with my buddies. For the first round I shot black powder #8s in my 16 gage. I shot station 1 and 2 but before I could shoot station 3 a kid from the office came over and asked to see what I was shooting. I showed him the shells and explained what they were and all was jake. In the next round I had another guy come over and ask the exact same thing. Finally, after shooting a round of smokeless, I fired three more BP rounds and bingo, another range guy came over to see what I was doing.

I'm not complaining and they didn't try and limit my fun. They were only checking because the report and the smoke was so great they feared I was shooing overly hot ammo. I've been shooting there for 5 years or more and this was the first time I've been checked. I'm glad the range guys are paying attention. Maybe it will save a life.

BTW, the double on station 6 is a real challenge. You have to wait for the bird to emerge from the smoke cloud to shoot it and by then it's almost to the low house.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Blackpowder is a no no at some clubs because of the proximity of homes to the range. The report from blackpowder is perceived as being much louder than from smokeless powder.

3. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Plz ck PM's

Tom

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Why would I use BP? Because sometimes it's fun to try and do things the old way. At the turn of the century this is what almost everyone was using. I wanted to try and duplicate that just for the sport of it. I also took ten chukar with these loads this past season. Again, just for the novelty of it.

There are no homes anywhere near OakTree so sound is not an issue. The guys were just being safe.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Why didn't 'cha tell 'em you were shooting 700X? That stuff burns (almost) as dirty as black........I know, I burn a lot of it.

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Several years ago our squad at the Hiyu Indians shot a 50 bird event, all with black powder. Good fun!

We all put our guns to soak in a bathtub and retired to the bar.

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

It is a lot of fun and challenging too. I suspect more don't try it because they are either put off by what they think will be a big cleaning job or they are worried it will hurt their guns. As to the former, well it took me 10 minutes to clean my SxS. One bucket of hot water laced with Murphy's Oil Soap (dish soap would have done) was the cleaning solution. I dipped the barrels into the hot water, pumped a bore mop through a couple of times, switched over to a dry mop, pushed a twist of paper toweling down each barrel and then mopped with Rem Oil. A wipe down of the receiver with a damp rag followed by more rem oil and it's done.

As to the BP hurting your gun....well, BP just doesn't generate that kind of pressure, even with a very generous over load.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The funniest thing I'ver ever seen was a BP shell get slipped into a shooter's bag at a "for fun" sporting event. That guy's 391 belched smoke from every orfice it had.

After the smoke cleared, literally, everyone had a good laugh and no one was affended. The guy that slipped the shell into the bag insisted on cleaning the gun after the event.

The funny of it was the guy swore that 391 shot smoother after the shell than before. Maybe all that burnt BP lubricated the action a touch.

ss

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I suspect more don't shoot BP as it's specifically prohibited for ATA competition. But if would be fun, not so much for the downwind guy..

Jim

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

You know one shell is funny but a whole round then your intentions are suspect. A bit narcicist if you ask me.

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.