1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Had a Visiter Come By.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by nomoloscofoso, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

I'm in eastern Pa. The one that visits me seems to wreck alot, as it flys into things, maybe a radar thing, but alot of fun to watch. I never did see it catch anything!

2. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Bet a ounce of 7 1/2's at 1350 fps would take care of that problem.

tom

3. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

I have one that stops by my bird feeders ocassionally. Sometimes he even nails a squirrel or bird. Nice picture. Thanks

4. biff

biff Active Member

I have one that hides in a cedar tree near my bird feeder, he thinks it's a cafeteria! Biff

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Last spring I watched one in the front lawn as he/ she dined on rabbit. The 7 year old next door learned about the food chain.

6. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

for a few years I was bitching about the cats killing the birds near our home
    I came home on a snowy day feathers and blood abound, no paw prints in site.
    we have a few Red Tails in Phila. plus a nesting pair of Eagles down by the Delaware River.Truley a magnificent site. Tom I do not see as a problem, why do you? cant hit the high house on the last post.

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Auctioneer:

What you got there is a Coopers or Sharp-shinned Hawk. They look very much alike and overlap in size. They also share much of the same range, habitat and hunting styles. Both are known to hang around bird feeders but they AREN’T interested in millet, thistle, or sunflower seeds.

From what I've read, the only reliable way to distinguish one from the other is the size and shape of the head. That of course, assumes one knows what to look for which I don't.

Thanks for sharing.

sissy

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've got a Blue Tail Hawk residing in my barn. I fixed him a perch in the haymow to keep him around. I even set up a feeder out on a pole that's at least 25yds to the nearest tree.

He keeps most of the vermin taken care of except the ground squirrels. They have seemed to prosper for some reason. I have no pigeon problems anywhere on the property.

ss

9. 31 Pump

31 Pump TS Member

[​IMG]

This is a great pic of a coopers hawk eating a dove.

Glenn
    [​IMG]

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

We had a mama hawk build a nest high up in one of our oak trees and raise 2 young last spring. Curiously, a female mallard nested right against our house in direct line-of-sight with the hawk nest, not 70 feet away. I think she realized her mistake, and as soon as hers hatched, she hustled them the heck out of there.

The young hawks still hang around, and are great entertainment.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a Peregrine falcon that lives on the RR bridge near me in the summer. Lat year, mid summer I was watching out my window of my office over the river and saw the Peregrine kill a red tail in mid air. He dove down and broke its back wiht his closed talons. the Red Tail fluttered to the water and the current took the doomed burd away. The Peregrine obviously tought the red tail was violating it's territory. He flew in circles aroudn the downed hawk as if to taunt it, but then left. His main diet is local pigeons.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I like having the hawks around. Its is fun to watch them go after birds around he feeder. I have seen the hawk come over the house, around the house and come around or through the boxwoods behind the feeder. I have even seen the hawk sit in the boxwood looking at the doves saying which one is the fat one. It has gotten so close to the window you could count the feathers on the wing. It has come in and a dove has hit the window and fallen to the ground. The hawk landed and then grabbed the dove and took off. I have shot a grackle from the feeder, it flew and then dropped. The hawk came out of the boxwood and grabbed it. I didn't know it was there. Like I said its fun to watch them.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a pair of hawks in my area that I had never seen before. I haven't gotten that close to them but their winges are narrow but long and it looks like that only have four tail feathers, two on each side. They are awsome to watch. Some times they appear to just be tumbling and glide so easily but are soo fast. They drop a couple hundred feet in just seconds. Anyone have any idea what they might be. They look to be gray and white. Jackie B.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Auctioneer, what you have is a Coopers hawk. Sissy is right they over lap in size, a female Sharped-shinned hawk is about the same size as a male Coopers. Female Coopers are a large bird. When they are young their eyes are gold, they turn red after 2-3 years. Coopers hawks have a longer neck than a Sharped-Shinned, and a rounded tail vs. a squared tail. We have a family of Coopers that pick doves off our feeders. The doves don't stand a chance. Wayne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Jackie, what you have is probably a kite.The mississippi kite is about the colorinngs that you describe. The kites are related to the falcons but are a little bit smaller, They hunt like falcons and are very fast.

Bob W

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

We have anothe hawk that comes in but has pretty red eyes. What kind of hawk I'm not sure. I knew this was a Cooper Hawk but as I said I'm not sure what the other one is yet.

I like the one in the bird bath. LOL

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Jackie B, can you give me more info on the hawk? Approx. size, is it grey on its back, white chest? Are the tips of the wings pointed or round in flight, are the tails rounded or squared in flight? What part of the country you live in? I'm sure we can figure out what they are. Wayne

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'd bet it would taste like Chicken if you cooked it right ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I walked out to my pigeon pen one day, 7'X7'X12' walk-in, and my pigeons were just going berserk, frantic to get out. It was clear to me that some critter was in there with them. I looked in and could see a dead pigeon on the ground that had been feasted on. I looked around for the predator, couldn't see anything but the birds were still frantic. I opened the door to let the birds fly out, they came out in a huge gush, and then, right behined them, the Cooper's or Sharp Shinned that has been using them for a supper club for some time. That hawk had watched my pigeons letting themselves back into their pen through a one-way chute I made so they could let themselves back in, and went through it to the land of plenty. When he flew out he was two feet from me. Talk about gutsy, but I think it knew how close to disaster it had come, it hasn't happened again. That so and so has killed a lot of my birds, for several months they wouldn't even leave the pen and go out and fly. I haven't seen it for a while and now my birds are going out and flying again. A brown pigeon is a relative rarity in my birds and I had two beautiful red-brown ones hatched and grown up and healthy and that hawk got both of them.

20. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Hawks are like all birds in that they are opportunists, they go where the food is. Put out bird feed= birds= hawks. Came in the drive one day and saw a Red Tailed one on the elec pole out back. He swooped down after a small hawk that was after the birds around the neighbors bird feeder. LIFE. One afternoon a few years ago at Jeep in Toledo a Perrigrine Falcon came swooping in through an over head door after a pigeon. Well the pigeon lay dead on the concrete and the falcon holed up in the rafters too nervous to try for the door because of all the people around. Well he hung around in those rafters for several days until too weak to fly well. A personal friend of mine snuck up on him using a shop coat to catch the bird and took him outside and away he flew. Yes slowly but the bird made it. It is a Federal offense to mess with tem. Leave them be. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.