1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Had a stint installed Monday

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ke4yyd, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Had chest pains Saturday while shooting but went away shortly. They came back Sunday afternood a little more severe. Took an aspirin and went to the local emergency room. After several tests they said I was having a heart attack. Life flighted to the nearest coronary unit. The next morning I had a stint installed in my RCA. The doc said there was no heart damage and my prognosis was excellent. I was sent home yesterday and was told I could resume normal activties other than lifting tens pounds or more. All this happened fast and I really don't have a handle on what happened other tha generalities. My meds were switched and I will be taking Plavix, a baby aspirin and a beta-blocker in addition to my other meds.

I did not ask when I could resume shooting. I was wondering if the recoil from shooting could have a effect on the stint.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I can't say for certain as i'm no Doc but i have family members that carry on as nothing had changed with stints installed. We have a large farm so its no easy jobs they are doing. Best bet would be to ask your Doc to be positive. I'm glad you got the proper treatment before it was too late. Take care of yourself and good luck---Matt

3. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I had a Stent in my RCA 10 years ago because of a 100% blockage but I did not have a heart attack.It took me almost 3 months to get back to normal but I have not had any problems since and my stent is still perfect(they say they only last 10 years but that is not true). If you have a problem w/ the stent it will show up in the 1st year- whether your body "likes" it or not.

You should follow your Doc's orders to the exact letter of the law. It is important to do the right thing up front for your long term health.

Start shooting when he tells you it's OK- explain to the Doc what shooting is and the recoil and number of times you shoot, gun weight and the motion of bringing gun up etc.Most of these guys don't know about trap shooting.

This is one guy's opinion who had the same defect and procedure.Good Luck.

4. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Congrats on the stent. Do you know if it was a Taxus, Promus, Xience, Endeavor or a bare stent? Just wondering - I was in the field, and worked on some of these and I'm curious.

These are expanded firmly into the artery upon implant, and then your various cardiac arterial tissues grow around it. It will not move, and yes, they are a permanent device which will last the rest of your life.

Once the wound created in your artery is healed, there should be no problem doing anything in line with your overall physical capabilities. I'm sure your doctor has treated sportsmen doing more strenuous activities than trap, so ask about his experiences.

Regards, Joe

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

My doctor made me wait a month before resuming shooting!

He said that it was to make sure that the stent had "settled in" and would not be moved by the recoil.

6. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

KE4YYD.....I had a stint put in my RCA last August and another in my LCA in September. On the first one in August I waited several days before I shot again and on the second one, I got home on Wednesday and shot at the club on Friday evening. I've been shooting ever since. My doctor wasn't thrilled about it but I shoot 7/8 loads at 1225 so recoil isn't a problem. Full house 172gr loads in my M1A are a little stiff but I don't shoot it a lot anyway. Heavy lifting and shoveling snow are no-no's but I can live without that kind of listing anyway. Just don't overexert yourself.

Rebsmith
    WB2ROP

7. hoov

hoov Member

ke4yyd; Welcome to the club. {hoov}

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Consult with your Doctor, he/she knows you the best ... The Doctor I had that placed the first stent restricted me for a month, the second one said wait about two weeks ... This could be due to where they were placed, this is not something to take chances with so talk it over with the Doc to be sure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Thanks folks for the info. The stint installed was the Promus.

I am mainly a Sporting Clays and Skeet shooter. Most of my shooting is done with a 410 now days so recoil is really nonexistant. When I do shoot Trap it is with 3/4 oz loads.

10. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I had mine implanted 2 years ago, New Years Eve. After the proceedure, Doc said take it easy for 2 weeks. Now I have to actually "think" about having a stent in my heart, it's been that trouble free. Take your meds, watch your diet and you'll be fine. Glad you did not pass off the symptoms as heart burn or indigestion as so many do, then they drop over dead.

11. DickG

DickG TS Member

I had a stent installed 10 years ago in my LADA, due to 100% blockage. Have had several stress tests, and echocardiograms done since then. No problems.
    As far as shooting is concerned, rely on your doctor's advice. Every one is different. Don't take chances.

12. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I had two put in last April they told me to wait 3 to 4 weeks before doing anything.

Terry

13. andybull

andybull Active Member

I had a heart attack about 11 years ago, I had a stent put in and so far so good. I waited about 2 or three weeks before shooting. I guess because of all of the blood thinners I was taking, I got a knot in my crotch where the prosedure was performed that took a few weeks to go away. I would ask the doctor and definitely wait.

Andy

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

I originally had 2 stents installed in my RCA in 1997. I went back to recreational shooting about 2 months later and had no problems at all. This was in the days before the medicated stents and I did not have to use Plavix. I had 3 more installed in my 1st OM and Proximate LAD after a heart attack in March. Because of the radioactive dye used they had to do 2 separate procedures. The first the day after the heart attack they installed 2 and the second 4 weeks later they installed 1. I actually went out and shot 100 singles 3 weeks after the first procedure. Physically I felt fine but I was second guessing every move, twinge, etc. rather than focusing on my shooting which affected my scores. After the second procedure I did the same but was less worried about the stents. I have been shooting regularly since then and doing a little better than I was before the procedures. The one thing that I have noticed is I CAN NOT stand to shoot in very hot weather any more and my endurance is a little less than before. I am walking to try and increase the endurance but have had to pick and choose my shoots/events based on the predicted weather.

Because the last stents were medicated I had Plavix and Lisinipril added to all my other meds. One other non-shooting issue is that because of these added meds I will occasionally get a big bruise for no reason at all and when the occasional mosquito bites me I will get a small bruise around the site. The plus side is that most mosquitoes won't even land on me any more and those that do bite me usually die quickly. Guess they can't handle the blood thinners.;o)

--- Chip King ---

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

About Lescol, Lipotor and the other anti cholesterol drugs ... be very careful! They can be as deadly as the heart attack!

After my 1st heart attack, the doctor put me on Lescol ... damn near killed me ... so he switched me to Lipitor ... same results ... then to Zetia ... but that made me always tired.

Now I am on Niacin and asprin ... so far so good

16. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Thanks for the info. Promus is the best one out there right now. Best wishes.

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I did not have a STENT installed but an AORTIC Mechanical Valve installed in November 2002 and was shooting February 2003, I had the full rib cage cut and split open to gain access to heart, I have the AVR #25 St.Jude Valve and I am on Coumadin for life Doc said I was too young for the PIG valve.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

Well i got ya all beat

38 stints and a built in defibulator

Normaly went back to work next day light duty then right back at it after that.

Back to shooting in 1 week

O ya i'm only 49

Ya got to die of something RIGHT

Dick The Shooter

Richard Lawrence

19. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I did have stents put in but this summer I had my gallbladder out in July and as soon as that was healed I had a big hernia fixed in my Belly( 70 staples) I asked Doctor in both cases he said to me" As long as it isnt over 10pds and you feel up to it, go for it!" After gall bladder 1 week, after Hernia 3 weeks till I felt good enough to try.

We also had a fella have stents put in this summer and he was down a week. Give your doctor a call ask him just dont take everyone elses words here we are not all doctors, and as much as we love the game, do whats best for you!

Jerry lewis

20. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ask your cardiologist whether a bare-metal (BMS) or a drug-eluting (DES) stent was used. Have him explain the difference. Also if you're having a surgical intervention (operation or other procedure) in the future make sure your cardiologist, internist, surgeon, and anesthesiologist are aware you're on Plavix and aspirin and duly consider the advantages or disadvantages of continuing or discontinuing them during the perioperative period. Read up on these things. Chichay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i shoot guns after a stent

can you shoot agun after a stent is put in

can you still shoot guns after having a heart stint

shooting a gun after a stent

shooting guns after getting a heart stint