1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HAD A GREAT DAY, TOOK MY GRANDSON FISHING!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    woke up this morning to a beautiful sunny day. went out to the gun club and shot some trap. as i was shooting i came up with the idea that my 4 year old grandson was old enough to take him fishing for the first time. we fished from shore. i packed him a lunch, and we both dug up some worms from the garden. as we drove to the area pond, i started thinking how life is a cycle. i remembered when i was a little boy when my dad would wake me up early on a saturday morning to go fishing. once we picked a spot to fish, i showed him how to bait the hook and had him pick a bobber out of the tackel box. between bites, we would talk and laugh. he caught a 3 inch blue gil,but to him it was huge. when the fish stoped biting, i would tell him stories when i use to take his mom fishing at the same spot. afterwards, he said "grandpa that was fun" I hope he will be able to remember the first time we went fishing together, i know i will. it's funny how things we do and certain events stick in our mind. like i said, i had a great day. do any of you remember the first time you ever fished or hunted with a grandchild, son or daughter or your dad? if so, please share you story with us.
    steve balistreri

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Yes I remember my sons first outings fishing. Whenever he hooked a fish instead of reeling the line in he started walking backwards. He was harder to teach reeling the fish in than potty training... But we had alot of good times and we went fishing alot.

For me I don't know when the first time for sure was as my grandpa and hunting/shooting mentor both were avid fisherman. But I have alot of early childhood memories of fishing trips. Like turtles pulling on stringers of fish, snakes trying to carry them off. One I will never forget is I talked my grandpa out of using his rod one day and he used one of my moms. He loved to fish for carp and hooked a darn big one. Have way out of the water and the line broke. Learned some new words that day :)

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

My grandmother took me out my first time fishing, in the AuSable river in Michigan. I caught a rock bass & was hooked for life. She was a real trip.

Grandma was from the Stanley clan out of Big Stone Gap Virginia, and brought a lot of wonderful outdoor knowledge north with her which she shared with me. They were coal miners and everybody chewed snuff. Funny story, one time we were fishing on the St. Joe river in southern Michigan, and she had two rods out of the boat...one of them a brand new one. She got a bite on one pole, and set the shiny new one down to reel the first fish in. You guessed it, she forgot to free-spool it, and while she was reeling that one in, another fish jerked her nice new rod into the water. When she got the first fish in, it was a big carp. She was mad as hell when she saw what it was. Next thing I know, a box of snuff materialized out of her tackle box, and she is dumping the whole thing down that fish's throat, then pressed his mouth shut and threw him back in! We just about rolled the boat over laughing. That sucker let out some bubbles and just rolled over sick in the water. "I showed that sumbitch, didn't I!" I bet we liked to dredged that river for an hour, trying to get her new fishing pole back.

I have a lot of good memories fishing with my grandma, and all the other great things she taught me. She's gone now, but I'm passing it on to my 4 year-old. He's not much of a fisherman yet...but he is hell on digging worms.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My 90 year old great grandfather took me ( grandma drove us to the lake) to Palestine Lake and he rowed the boat and proceeded to show me how to catch dogfish. It is a vivid memory to this day. That was 52 years ago

5. senior smoke

i enjoy these types of stories. in the past i have been criticized for some of my threads. sometimes i wonder how many times can we rehash what type of gun powder we like, or what lop we use. i often day dream thinking of good times with family and friends that are no longer with us. so i hope people will share their memories.
    Steve

6. senior smoke

mp3006- i understand completely.
    steve

7. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

How about taking your dad fishing, not for the first time but for his first 17 lb. bluefish and first tuna. I bought my boat when I was 18, just 6 months out of high school. Got hooked on offshore fishing up until about 2 years ago when it got to be ridiculously expensive. Anyway, spend a year learning the offshore game and it never worked out that my dad could go with me. So the second year I made plans early to fish a local fishing club tourney out of Ocean City and told my dad he had no choice that he was going. Got our butts kicked on the way out, but I prefer to fish offshore in a litle snot to break up the surface so the tuna couldn't see the leaders. Strapped my dad into a 75 lb. bluefin tuna that took him 35 minutes to land, of course it had to hit the way back line that was 100 yards behind the boat. My dad isn't much the type to smile but when that tuna hit the deck he was grinning ear to ear and never stopped the rest of the day. Also hit a school of big bluefish that hit every line out once the first one hit and the boat was slowed. He never caught a bluefish bigger than 6 lbs. from the Chesapeake Bay so he couldn't believe the fight that the things could put up. We won the bluefish division and the following year we won the tuna division. Probably some of the best times I have spend with my dad were 35+ miles off Ocean City, MD. And it didn't hurt to win some money so everyone on board fished for free!

Allan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.