1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

H & S precision stock, 280 AI dies wanted

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Butler, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butler

Butler TS Member

0   0   0

Looking for a H & S Precision stock for Remington short action with heavy barrel, Redding or RCBS dies for a 280 ackley improved, full length, or neck size full set or whatever you have Jim Butler

2. Butler

Butler TS Member

0   0   0

3. Terry

Terry TS Member

0   0   0

Jim, do you still have your Coopers for sale?

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

You're making me drool. A rifle chambered in 280AI. I really should build myself one some day.

ss

5. fordtough

fordtough Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

what is the ballistic difference between the 280ai and the 7stw, i cant be much. and i can buy stw brass and with a 140gr mrx goes 3450fps for .25moa and 3600fps 1moa.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

Who wants to deal with the unpleasant recoil of a 7mmSTW or 7MM mag when you can have a nice soft shooting 280AI in a short action.

ss

7. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

Jim, just sent you an email about giving me a call.

Thanks

Bud

8. steele

steele TS Member

0   0   0

SS, Are you sure a 280AI is a short action?

9. fordtough

fordtough Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

ss needs to buy a reloading manual i think.. 280ai case length is longer than a 7mm mag, and with 40deg shoulder on the 280 im sure it holds more powder..

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

As a .280AI fan and owner, I can tell you that you WILL enjoy having one.

First, they are a long-action cartridge, like most .30-06-based cartridges. The trim-to case length is about the same as the parent .30-06 case.

They are on the doorstep of the 7mm Rem Mag ballistically but fall short of the velocity of the 7mm STW and 7mm RUM. However, they also fall short of them in terms of recoil. I was prepared for 7mmRM recoil but mine surprised me with how soft it shoots. The STW seems to be headed for obscurity, as Remington now only chambers it in their Custom Shop rifles. Their own 7mm Ultra Mag is superior in terms of velocity and range as does so without a belted case. If you have a 7mm STW (as my son does), buy any new brass you find - the stuff is only made by one company any more.

Although you can get the velocity up some from my .280AI, I prefer accuracy to a minor velocity improvement. I'm loading 140-grain Berger VLDs over 62.5 grains of RE-22 sparked by a CCI BR-2 primer in Nosler brass. That recipe delivers an average muzzle velocity of 3,099fps and 100-yard groups that average under 1/2". The cartridge is inherently accurate, as the worst groups I got from the loads I tried was 0.960" and the rest were between 1/2" and 3/4". Case forming isn't required as Nosler sells new .280AI brass and AI brass will outlast any standard case, especially belted ones, thanks to its 40-degree shoulder and straighter walls. Case stretching is almost non-existent.

I had my .280AI built on a Remington Model 700BDL/DM action (one of the engraved ones from 1997-2001) that McGowen Precision Barrels blueprinted before fabricating and installing a 25" stainless fluted barrel on it. The barrel is the exact same profile as a Remington factory barrel because I bought a new Remington laminated stock for it ($75 on Remington's close-out list) and wanted a drop-in fit. And that's all I did - the barreled action was not bedded in any way.

The photos of the rifle were taken while I waited for Leupold to make the scope it now wears. I ordered a VX-3 Long Range (30mm tube with side focus parallax adjustment) in 4.5-14x with a B&C reticle and they now make those scopes to order instead of inventorying them. I paid $540 for the receiver (which came off a .30-06 that had exactly 10 rounds through it), $470 to McGowen and $75 for the stock - a little over a grand isn't bad for a custom rife that will handle just about any North American big game I'll ever hunt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ed

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

Sorry guys. I was thinking about the .260 Rem when I said that. My mistake.

ss

12. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I have a 7MM/06 built on a Mauser action with walnut stock. Also have RCBS. 400.00 + shipping to FFL

13. Butler

Butler TS Member

0   0   0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

280 ai barrel length