1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

H&R Trap gun, Thread 2: Conclusion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2236.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2235.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2233.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I shot the gun on Wednesday and Saturday with scores of 23,23,22,23. You can take that for what it's worth out of me because I never claimed to be much of a Trap shooter, but I don't feel it's too bad considering that those are first time scores with a new gun. The point is I'm somewhat consistant so far and consistancy can be risen or lowered with minor changes here and there to fit and getting used to a different set up.

On the patterning board, the adjustable comb allowed for a much higher POI that the flat 50/50 from the factory. In this picture, I have it cranked up a little too far and it would easily be a 100% pattern at the target breaking point:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2242.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2232.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

With the added weight (it started at 6 3/4lbs and ended up at 8lbs 2oz) and Gracoil adjustable LOP unit, recoil was extremely tame and I would have no problem shooting this gun all day long. The other shooters that shot this gun agreed as well. Here is a picture of my old buddy dverna (aka "Rat-face") running some ammo through the Topper. He will also atest to the fact that the trigger is very crisp and light (now set at 3.8lbs after a simple adjustment):

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2243.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2238.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Perhaps my biggest gripe (maybe the only) about this gun is it's 30" barrel. With its short receiver, this gun handles a lot more like a gun with a 28" max barrel....I feel that it would really come alive with a 34".

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2246.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Things I like about the H&R?

1. The price ($338 with tax)

2. Nice rib

3. Trigger

4. Neat Beaver tail forarm

5. Stock was workable

6. Overal Simplicity

Things that I didn't like?

1. Short 30" barrel

2. Too light ("Broom stick" comes to mind)

No, I would definitely NOT recommend that anyone do the modifications that I have done with this gun...it would be foolish to pay for these modifations and one could easily purchase an 870, 1100, 391 or a used BT for less. However, for the price, this gun just can't be beat. It could easily be modified for Junior shooters by simply cutting the stock down, grinding a new thick, soft pad for it and adding weight in the stock bolt hole and forarm. With light loads, it would be very managable. The comb could cheaply and easily be added to by simply installing one of the stick on foam types that are available from Kickeez and other manufacturers.

Kudos to H&R for offering this entry level Trap gun! This was a tiresome project...but a heck of a lot of fun.

2. Tron

Good question Mrk.

All prices incl. tax and shipping:

Cost of gun $338

Cost of Gracoil LP $245

Cost of comb hardware $30

Cost of Kickeez rocker pad $30

Total cost: $643

Cost if you had the work done:

Gracoil LP installed: $350

Powder coat unit: $60

4 way adjustable comb: $170

Price to mill forarm and add weight: $60

Total: $640 plus gun: $338 Total: $978

Like I said, not worth it and not a wise purchase with modifications

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Very good build up thread Tron. It does show the rest that you can take a basic no frills gun and make it work if one has the items and time to do it without going "big" time. The overall cost does put it right there with much better entry guns as you have stated, but that was not the idea for this testing as it is....Thanks again

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Thank you Tron for this workup. Actually, you have a brand new, break open gun with adjustability and recoil reduction for less than $1,000. That really doesn't seem too bad a deal.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks Tron-Any gun that can be put together with all the features of "your" finished product for under $1000.00, is really a bargain. You got a good recoil devices, good 4 way adj. comb and a simple idiot proof design that should last as long as a Bt-99, and other mid-priced SBT's- That is my opinion. It would be a great gun for a youth or beginning woman shooter.

Lou-

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great report

so you liked the trigger? interesting

they still shoot pigeons with hammer guns in Europe

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Thanks Tron. A real interesting read. I didn't even see the boat docking. LOL

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    H&R needs to make a true monte carlo stock for that, and have a hollow hole in the buttstock for adding weight.

9. Tron

Yes Gene, the trigger was a surprise. Brian, I do agree, the stock should have the comb area raised a bit more no doubt. Also, there is plenty of room in the bolt hole area to add weight or a recoil device.

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Tron:
    i have a grandson that will be big enough to shoot in a couple of years. i think this might be a good gun to purchase at this time, and put aside for him. his father is not a shooter, but has the skills to do most of the work that would make the gun more enjoyable to shoot. i think it would be a fun project for the three of us to do. I did not know that you did this type of gun work. i plan to keep you in mind for future work that i may need done to my firearms. this was the most enjoyable thread i have read since i started participating in these discussions. my suggestion to other shooters, consider purchasing this gun, and work on it with your sons or grandkids. i think it would be fun and memorable for all.
    take care,
    steve balistreri

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Nice project and good report Captain Tron.....Bob Dodd

12. tj303

tj303 Member

How about adding a screw in barrel extension/extra long choke tube? Browning used to make one (ES)

13. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Tron - what a GREAT thread and series of reports; an effort truly worthy of being puiblished in any of the gun periodicals.

And I have to agree with Mr. Brooks and Mr. 635. A break open, dedicated trap gun with all the bells and whistles to make it fit and easy to shoot, for under $1,000 delivered to your door is a bargain.

I bet if you set up shop and offered them customized as such for $1000 a pop you'd be swamped with orders.

Joe

14. FIB

FIB Member

Tron, great report and your stock work is excellent!!....Randy

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tron, Your post is insightful and well timed as I just saw an add for the gun in one of the mags. Under 1K for an adjustable dedicated trap gun awesome. What are your thoughts about this gun for a left handed shooter?

16. Tron

Good point Bruce and I should have mentioned that this is an ambidextrous firearm, being that the cast is neutral and there is no left/right safety (hammer gun). If cast on/off is desired, I don't see why the stock can't be bent.

17. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Great presentation and nice way to spotlight your work. Not to be negative but before anyone spends that much money on one of these I would want to find out which receiver they are using for the trap gun. They make a rifle and a shotgun version receiver, the rifle version is a little harder and might have a chance of lasting long enough to get thru a trap season. Breach face and hinge wear is a problem with these guns if you put a lot of rounds thru them but what would you expect out of a cheap gun? They are fine for hunters who don't put as many rounds in a lifetime as a trapshooter in one season. This is why an 870 or 1100 or bt99 are so much better choices. Really nice work anyway.

18. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

This was a very good thread on this gun. And I missed it and was unable to find it. Thankyou.

Joe Woods/Ontario

19. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the hammer for young kids when at the line bothers me!! safety?

20. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Briley makes a barrel extension for about a $100. Could that be used to make a longer barrel? I bought a 6 inch barrel extension from Briley and added it to a 3901 Beretta (with a 28" barrel) man what difference! The POI changed dramatically. It is a riot to shoot. IMHO Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.