1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

H&R Trap gun, part 1

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My Topper Trap gun FINALLY arrive and I picked it up this morning from Guns Galore in Fenton. After taxes, the gun cost $339, which I didn't think was bad, slightly below where I've seen them eslewhere. While there, I opted to purchase a Briley extended full choke tube (Browning Invector), being that the gun come with only an improved modified (I'm partial to full choke for Trap).

Now, you must understand, I'm not working for one of those bias shooting mags that give EVERY gun they test a flowery two thumbs up even if it's a polished turd. I'm being completely and utterly impartial here, but we must keep in mind that this gun is what it is....a Topper. It's a very cheap, simple, basic design that has been around for many decades. That being said, it does have a very good reputation and a place in the hearts from the many of us who may have broken our first hand thrown clays in a nearby field.

My first impressions? I was personally very impressed with the vent ribbed barrel complete with center bead and screw in choke system. The thick Decelorator pad was a great feature, but is very sloppy where it meets the butt. The wood is a low grade walnut with what appears to be a lacquer finish, not great, but I have seen worse on more expensive guns. I like the cut checkering and it has a very nice pattern with a diamond area in the mid point. I don't think that the guy who worked on the forearm even knows the person who did the stock because the finish appears to be a bit different and the two pieces are likely not even from the same tree.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2186.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2185.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2187.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2188.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

At the patterning board, I checked from a rest at 13 yards and then at 30. The ammo was Federal Top Gun 3 1/4dr 1 1/8oz. Now, here is where I was impressed. THE GUN SHOOTS STRAIGHT. I was a bit surprised. It's flat as hell, but straight. I've patterned my share of guns and have always been amazed at how many high production guns (and even some mid range target guns) fail this first step in checking POI. If the dang thing doesn't shoot straight, you got a problem and fitting from that point is a waste of time.

Typical 13 yard pattern:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2182.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2181.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

30 yard (sorry, I didn't trace a 30" circle, but you can get the point):

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2184.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

At the range, we didn't have a lot of time left, but me and my buddy were SMOKING the targets all the way back to the 27. I will do this properly later and post scores for you, but like I said...ran out of time. The recoil was no issue what so ever with my buddy, but it was a bit much for me. That being said, it was far less than I thought it would be. We both were anticipating that the hammer pull was going to be an issue, but it was actually VERY light and easy with no pain or fatigue developing on the thumb. The gun broke open very crisp and smoothly and shells ejected back approx. 2 feet. So far, our impression is VERY favorable. This really isn't a bad little gun and when you consider the money a real bargain.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2191.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    More in a week. I'm installing a Adjustable LOP Gracoil unit, and adjustable comb, adding weight to the forearm and stock to bring it up from the current 6 3/4 lbs up to around 8 1/2lbs.

If you have any suggestions or ideas, please post them!

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thx Tron for doing this

3. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

For those of us with A soft spot for the topper!

Mine is a lite profile so I can not go beyond 20 GA, but I did not break any clays until I was up do a 12ga repeater, slayed a few doves though. I have killed some rabbits and yotes with both the 30-30 factory barrel and a later added 22lr barrel. It is also going to have it's 50 birthday in about 2 years, my very first real gun! Although I remember opening a 222 a little better!

Al

4. Tron

Why not?

5. Tron

Well, the point is that this is a "New" entry level "Trap" gun. I'm really curious as to whether or not for a little money, you can make a cheap gun perform really good. Even without any modifications, I feel that this is a decent starter gun, especially with light loads.

6. pa pete

pa pete Member

And for Doubles, you just hold the second shell between your last
    two fingers. "Pete" McDonough.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The gun is advertised as having a monte carlo stock, which this one clearly doesn't have. Is that an option or do the ad writers not know what they're talking about?

8. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Tron thanks for this thread, while I dont plan on owning one I find it very interesting and will follow your future posts, any plans for an adjustable comb?

Rick

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

great thread- thanks- all the naysayers have been proven wrong

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

An adjustable comb lol may cost as much as the gun,,,,,,,

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Joe,

How was the trigger?

Was there any/much creep?

What was the trigger pull (or have you tested that?)

Crisp break, or does it feel like you're pulling a shovel through gravel?

Tim

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Tron I would build up the comb with cheek-eez foam pads for a higher Poi. If you want an adj comb PM me since its a fun project i'll give you a discount.

While on the subject of inexpensive guns. I was in the shop today and they have a Ithica single barrel trap in very good cond for $425 Heres the catch it has a 30" barrel with a poly choke. It would be a great starter gun really a shame about the poly choke but still a lot of gun for the money.
    Joe

13. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

Joe,
    Good read and some good info.

You Texas Buddy,
    David

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

These are the things I like to see.

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Tron:
    Thank you for all the info. it brought back memories when i use to read the american shotgunner magazine in the 70's. i really enjoyed it.
    steve balistreri

16. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Thanks Tron. Keep us posted with the upgrades. I'm thinking I want one of these...just because.

17. crusha

crusha TS Member

I don't need it...so why am I thinking about picking one up?

Thanks Tron...

18. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

next thing you will need to do is get to where you can do doubles . I can shoot pretty fast but I was never able to beat my dad. If he had ever shot trap he would have been something to see. If he had to shoot twice it sounded like a two shot auto rick

19. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Someone ask about barrel looks like right now it is 30in with the impv mod choke gun is 269 dealer cost and as Tron said the Browning chokes fit rick

20. JOND

JOND TS Member

Tron-In your thread you said "Browning Invector". Did you mean to say "Browning Invector Plus" ? JOND

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.