1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

H&R-Topper Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JJJ, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Hi Guys(and Gals):
    While having some work done on my trap gun, I mentioned to Paul about the new Trap Gun made by H & R. I told him, I understood they would sell for under $400.00. He gave me a price of $297.00 plus shipping. Has anyone shot this gun? Even if it doesn't go off it's worth the price. I have a feeling it's going to kick like a mule.
    Here's the telephone number & Paul is located in Delaware. 302-284-3772.
    Paul's Gunsmith Service
    JJJ

2. MX-10RS

MX-10RS TS Member

JJJ

It's an alright gun, but I prefer a vent rib on my trap guns. Also, the external hammer is a little cumbersome to cock each target. Other than that, it really grinds 'em.

3. hairy

hairy TS Member

I bet it does kick.

4. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

A poor man's BT-99. Seriously this is the first really affordable trap gun to come along in a long time. I hope it does well. The early age of trapshooting was dominated by affordable guns. Now everyone thinks they have to have a Perazzi.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

except those of us who bought used Ljutic's and shoot them forever...oh, sorry..my bad!

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If anyone remembers the famous Bruce Bowen thread about the attempt to blow one of these up, it stands to be one of the strongest trapguns made! For $300, it would be great as a loaner or extra spare. 5 pounds of extra lead in the stock would help on the kick as well.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Fill the stock with lead or a recoil reducer, rasp a channel out in the forend and fill with lead and epoxy or use a clamp on weight (you should be able to add 3-4 lbs to this gun w/ out much of a problem), and you have yourself a pretty decent gun for 1/4 the cost of its next closest competitor the bt-99. I'd like to see them offer this w/ 32" or 34" barrels, but its a good starting place.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think its danged decent looking and can picture a 12yr old being proud as a peacock at shooting thier new trap gun...I can see somebody setting one up one day with a Moneymaker hi rib and replacing the buttstock with a high Monte carlo from a scope slug gun...would love to see the winner of the GAH holding one at trophy time too...wouldn't that be a kick!!

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be nice to shoot one of those and not miss a target till it was the guns fault? :) Hap

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Very cool Hap! and winning the GAH with one would be like winning Indy with a Yugo

11. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

everybody that shoots these better find a gunsmith that can put a release in .......youre gonna need one sooner or later!!

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I don't know about you guys, but if I owned this gun, it would be illegal to shoot anything heavier than one ounce loads. LOL

13. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I'm way ahead of you guys, tried my nephews 3 1\2" topper turkey gun at handicap. I hit a few once I figured out where it was shooting. Can't say it was enjoyable and yeh it was on a bet. Ross

14. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

ccw1911, I know what you mean about doing things on a bet. I might have tried to change the bet a little though.

I would have told them I could run into that pole in the background for a price. Probably the same result.

AJ100

15. trap906

trap906 Member

has anyone actually seen one of these yet? or are they still not available yet. I got a new paper catalog the other day from h&r/marlin, and it's in there but no word on availability

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

Does anyone know if they will have a lease program on these?

17. trap906

trap906 Member

dollar down and a dollar a day. just think in 1 year that puppy would be yours..lol

18. tim mitin

tim mitin TS Member

Shooting Coach, your right about using 1oz loads. I have the 3 1/2" version,the same as the "new" trap gun but with no rib and field style wood. It works okay with light 1oz and 7/8oz loads for singles shooting. More weight and a longer barrel with a higher rib is needed. Tim M

19. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Would be a candidate for the 20GA for the kids...

Ronbo

20. KRE

KRE TS Member

My first 100 straight at the first club I shot trap at was with a field H&R Topper 12 gauge 28" full.

When I went to my first ATA shoot with it, many laughed as I walked on to the field. I dropped the first 6 birds then got mad, an ran the next 94. I then packed up a left.
    It was along time before I went back and shot with the big money guys again, but it was no loss to me.
    I find it to be funny it took 10K worth of smoke poll to break a bird, when I did just fine with a $79.00 piece of junk, as some call it. If I would have opened my eyes to the fact, that trap shooting was more about spending money than breaking a piece of pitch and clay, I could have saved much green.

I have shot with some of the best that have ever shot this sport and to a person, they never once be-littled a new shooters equipment. As I am also a realist, to Norma Hilton of Skyway T&S and the man I was told to call Bill J. from the Silver Dollar (both circa 75)as it was coming out of the ground, you were both correct about many folks in this sport.

Kenneth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

h&r topper trap gun price