1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

H&R Topper Trap Gun vs Topper Deluxe Classic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rod Patten, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rod Patten

Rod Patten TS Member

New to trap shooting. Has anyone seen these two shotguns side by side? Is the trap gun that much different than the deluxe classic to warrant the added price.

I already have too many hobbies and do not wish to spend alot on a high end trap gun that will only get used maybe three times a year. Usually for fun shoots and such.

I have an old topper 20 guage that I used a weekend ago. Hadn't shot a shotgun in twenty years and had a blast. So the search for a shotgun better suited to occasional trap shooting has begun.

I cannot find the Topper trap gun in stock anywhere yet, but have found one of the deluxe classic models here locally. So I would like to know if there is really enough of a difference that I should wait and get the topper trap gun when it is available again. Or will the deluxe classic get the job done and save a few dollars.

Thanks,
    Rod

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Trap model has a Pachmeyr curved recoil pad, real walnut straight TRAP wood, a beavertail forearm, a 30" barrel ( not the 28") with an Improved modified choke tube, of the extended variety, and what appears to be a taller target vent rib.. The two guns are different enough that you would rather buy the "TRAP" version. It will do better for you at the game of trap than the Topper Deluxe. I've shot them both and the Trap version is better suited for trap, although you could shoot the Topper Deluxe Classic at trap, the extra hundred dollars or so for the Traqp version is well worth it. These guns are actually fun to shoot and I've fired them both. I'd go for the trap version, even if it meant waiting for one. I hit every target I shot at with the Trap version, and hit them SOLID! It shoots a little flat for a trap gun, but not any worse than many others. The Classic Deluxe shot a little lower and was not as comfortable to shoot.

3. Rod Patten

Rod Patten TS Member

I was wondering if the barrels ribs and lengths were different. I knew the trap gun was 30 in barrel but didn't know if they were including the extended choke tube. Thanks for the info. Looks like the search continues. Guess I will keep shooting the ol' topper I have right now until the trap gun version is available again.

Thanks for the info.

Rod

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I don't know what kind of budget you have, but a good used 870 with a 28" to 30" barrel, mod or full choke (or screw in choke tubes) and an add on comb will work fine for trap, and will emulate a factory trap gun. And the recoil won't be an issue, because it ain't gunna be as bad as your Topper. Such guns can be found used for decent prices at gunshops. And it can be used for hunting as well. In fact, you'd be into that for roughly the same price as a trap model version of the Topper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
h&r topper deluxe

h&r topper deluxe classic

h&r topper deluxe classic for sale
h&r topper trap
topper deluxe classic
topper deluxe classic review
topper trap gun
topper trap gun for sale