1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

H & R handi-rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

About 20 years ago a gun dealer that I worked with at the time [both of us postal employees] came up with an idea that proved at the time to be nothing short of brilliant. He proposed that we buy 45-70 handi-rifles and convert them to 45 cal. muzzleloaders. This consisted of machining a brass plug for the breech that would hold a standard shotgun primer. Long story short, they worked great and we had a very economical and accurate muzzleloader. One of the very first ones that you could easily clean! Well, I leant it out to a young relative and it came back pitted and dirty. I think that it is new barrel time. After going to H and R's website, I see that I can get a barrel in S&W 500. Would this be the same bore as .50 cal? I'd love to use the same method and move up to 50 cal. Bill

2. 6chuter

6chuter Member

I believe they made one in a .58 cal years ago.

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

There is a guy on this forum that makes them. The website I believe is Smokeless Muzzleloading Inc from Indiana. They are easy to use and smokeless powder capable too.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Even better, thanks 6chuter. I will research the .58. I never tried it, but I think the standard brass, cut off maybe halfway would be sufficient ignition for the black powder.
    This would save me some machine shop cost. Bill

5. ouch

ouch Member

They made an H & R Huntsman,Model 156 in .45 and .58 cal.. I have 2 in .45 cal. with adapters to use a 209 shot shell primer. They had a semi telescopic ram rod and were a very good foul weather primitive weapon season gun. When I purchased them and deer hunted in the late 70's it was always wet weather here in Ohio.

I would sell one of these if anyone is interested. Sorry I don't own a camera. Richard

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Back to my original question: Does anyone know if a S&W 500 is the same bore as a .50 cal? thanks Bill

7. rname

rname Member

The 500 smith shoots a .500 bullet and the bore is .490 so it would be hard to get bullets the right size to fit that bore as a muzzleloader bore is 500.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

h&r handi rifle s&w 50

h-r handi rifle 7x57 cal info