1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

H&R .22 WMRF

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Very old cartridge. Good luck finding some...

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Check again, is it stamped 22 WRF? If so you can get current production ammo for it from several retailers. (Cabelas for example). Note, this is not the same as the .22 Magnum cartridge.

3. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

If it is a 22 WRF (winchester rim fire), it is indeed somewhat shorter than the 22 WMR(winchester MAGNUM rimfire), but I have not heard of that stamping on the barrel (WMRF). Of course, there is much that I have not heard about.

I would bet that what you have is a gun chambered for the much older 22 WRF. You can now buy ammo from Cabela's and other sources. Do not shoot regular 22 rimfire ammo in it as there is a considerble difference in diameter and regular 22s will probably split, which can cause serious problems to the hands and eyeballs.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

.22 WMRF is .22 Mag.

Try some Federal ammo, they usually worked better in tight chambers.

If they still hard to get fully seated, scrub the cyl. to clean out the lead deposit.

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

22 WRF can be fired in 22 WMR chambers but not vice versa. Somebody probably fired wrf ammo in this thing and there is crud and grease in the front of the chamber. I sure hope they weren't shooting 22lr in it. I don't believe H&R ever made revolvers that had two cylinders in 22lr and 22wrf(winchester rim fire, a longer round with an inside lubricated bullet and the same diameter as the 22 winchester magnum rimfire, sometimes called 22 winchester rim fire magnum. The wrf is a little shorter than the wmr).

Many guns were made in wrf and were quite popular as they had a heavier, flat pointed bullet at a hundred or two fps more velocity and were great small game cartridges..also popular with trappers and varmint hunters.

We used to buy them by the carton in the sixties to use in the wrm guns which were too expensive to shoot (a buck for the wrfs vs $2.50 for the wrms).

6. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Barfin,

H&R Model 686 as pictured above...cylinder CLEARLY states .22 WMRF ONLY.

NOT .22 WRF...it's WMRF

A .22 Long Rifle is a very sloppy fit.

Federal .22 Magnums WILL NOT FIT...appear to be about 1/8" too long.

Spent an hour at Cabela's trying to figure it out but came home with no ammo.

What the heck is this????????????

Smok'n Joe

7. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

You have three lengths in these shells.
    22 long rifle .985 inch roughly
    22 WRF (an older round) 1.17 inch roughly
    22 WMR (todays magnum) 1.35 inch roughly
    Measure the round to the cylinder. Your either fouled or you have the older cylinder for the WRF round in which you may or may not find shells.

8. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

This is a puzzlement isn't it?

Does the cylinder in question look like it has been used at all? If it does, then someone shot SOMETHING in it.

I have to think that by this time you have checked out the fouling issue and found that not to be the case....right?

It sure sounds like this cylinder is chambered for the older 22 WRF ammo. Did you try some of that WRF ammo in it while you were at Cabela's?

Please let us know what the story is when/if you ever solve this riddle.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't mean to steal a thread but I have an H&R 700 semi-auto rifle in 22 mag and need a magazine if anyone has one. Bulge.

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

This may be an over-simplification? But, could it possibly be that the previous owner may have shot .22lr through the Magnum cylinder? If so, then the obstruction that you are encountering may be lead fouling? It's just a thought, but that 1/8 " is about the difference between the two cases?

I've witnessed this before in a Colt Frontier convertible, and S&W Model 19's that have shot a bunch of .38 wad cutters.

FWIW,
    Kip

11. Savage99Stan

Did more research and that model of H&R was made only in 22lr and 22wmr (or if you insist, wmrf which is the same thing). Again, if the chambers are too short and not just full of crud, it was improperly chambered...not a totally unknown thing.

12. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

I bought one of those new in about 1980. It was just like the one in the picture. The one I had did not take special shells, .22 and .22 mag.

BK

13. Savage99Stan

To clarify..I said only made in 22lr and also 22wmr.

wmr/wmrf/winchester magnum rimfire/winchester rim fire magnum all same. All same length, all loaded same (with bullet variations).

22wrf not loaded lately unless on special order. No guns made recently for it, that meaning probably since the forties.

Again, if wrm/wrmf/wrfm/or whatever won't fit, and the cylinder is marked wmrf only, it is chambered short or is full of crud.

This should end it all.

14. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

All I can say is, if it was chambered for the 22 Mg., then either th chambers are fouled, likely by someone fireing 22 WRF ammo in it, or even regular 22 LR ammo (which is a dangerous thing to do).

Now if it is a fouling problem, then that should be fairly easy to determine because the fouling can be removed by copious amounts of scrubbing with a good bore cleaner.

If it is NOT a fouling problem, then it was either a mistake at the factory, OR it is just Possible that it was some kind of special chambering by the factory or a gunsmithing job....

I cannot explain the 22WMRF stamping on the cylinder, (Certainly one cannot rechamber a 22 Mg. to 22 WRF),although it is a little strange given that the much more common 22WMR is usually stamped on 22 Mg. guns.

Please keep us informed as to the solution of this riddle in steel.

15. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

FWIW - I have a T/C Contender barrel chambered for .22 Magnum and is stamped .22 W.M.R.F. It's one of the older 14" barrels made with no sights (not a Custom Shop barrel).

AndyH ;-)

16. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

I did not have any trouble with mine. I traded it for another gun I thought I just had to have. They are well made, no aluminum.

BK

17. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Back in the 90's. Winchester made a commemorative run of the WRF. They were sold in half bricks. At the end of the run they were selling for only a little more than 22RF. I'd be willing to bet someone ran a batch through your gun and the cylinder is fouled. Chuck a bronze brush in a drill. soak it with solvent and then run it through each hole in the cylinder.

18. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Spent an hour on the cylinder with three brushes and power drill...can't imagine there is ANY crub in what looks like a cylinder that's never been fired...I can "force" a shell into two of the bores but have to literally push the shell back out with a nail.

It is definately a magnum cylinder...but the shell still seems to be about 1/8" too long...maybe I'll just put a bit in the drill and bore it out!

Very Frustrating.

Smok'n Joe

19. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Joe, don't do that. It is obliously chambered for the 22 WRF ammunition, regardless of what is stamped on the side of it.

Buy a box of 22 WRF and I am sure you will be able to chamber it fine. Last time I looked, Cabela's had 22WRF ammo for sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat604023&navAction=jump&navCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat20712&parentType=category&parentId=cat20712

20. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Okay my friends...here's the story...

My H&R model 686 does indeed have .22 WMRF prominently stamped on the cylinder. The cylinder is clean. I located a few boxes of .22 WRF ammunition, which is an old .22 "magnum" cartridge and limited edition cartridge that is manufactured periodically for collectors. The cartridge is
    the same diameter of the .22 WIN MAGs but a little shorter. After a lot of research I found out that a .22 WRF will work in a .22 WMR cylinder, but not the other way around...

I also discovered that the Federal WIN MAG cartridges that I purchased for use in this gun have a 50 Grain hollow point bullet....22 Winchester Magnum Cartridges have a .45 Grain bullet. The .22 Winchester Magnum cartridges fit the cylinder flush...the Federal .22 WIN MAG cartridges (50 Grain Bullet) are just a tad too long.

The good news is that the Federal WIN MAGs seem to be fine for use in my Ruger Single Six and I will be able to use the commemorative issue .22 WRF cartridges and Winchester Magnum Cartridges (.45 Grain) in my H&R 686 with no problem.

Thank you all for your interest and assistance in resolving this issue...it's better to be safe than sorry!

Smok'n Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
22 magnum wmrf ammo

22 wmrf

22 wmrf cylinder
22 wmrf mean

22 wmrf only

difference between wmr and wmrf
h&r 686
what does 22wmrf mean on a gun cylinder