1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gunzilla ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

Is anyone useing Gunzilla? Is it what they claim?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Marketed to the "green" crowd; everything aimed at that market is overpriced and generally over-hyped.

Smells good but doesn't work as well as CLP or any number of other products that cost less than Gunzilla.

MK

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

At $25.00 a pint it better be good!!! I think there is a lot less expensive products out there that do at least as good a job if ot better!!!..Uncle Sam, Pa.

4. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I have yet to find a commercial product that dissolves plastic! I always have to use a brass brush and scrub the S*%^& out of it.

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Ed's Red formula contains acetone, which will loosen and dissolve the plastic buildup from wad fouling. Not a commercial product, but works better than anything else I've found for cleaning the bores on shotguns and 22 rimfires.

Another good commercial product is Eezox - http://www.eezox.com/. Scrub a bore with your favorite bore cleaner until you are sure it's perfectly clean, then run a patch with Eezox through it and you'll be amazed at how much fouling is still there!

Kiv

6. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I am currently using Gunzilla and like it. It does a great job as a one step CLP. I find it no more costly than other comparible products and less expensive than another well known brand I had been using.

7. Unknown1

Ed's Red can also be made with a lesser amount of acetone than called for. It just works more slowly. And once the volatile components evaporate, you're left with a pretty fair gun oil in the form of the kerosene and automatic transmission fluid mix. In fact the original description of mixing Ed's Red suggests that the ATF and K-1 be mixed first and a portion of the result held separately for use as a weapons oil.

MK

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

I use gunzilla as final cleaner and lube after a claener first,snake,rem oil,snake, gunzilla and final snake

Doug H.

9. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I think it's the perfect cleaner for youth!

I worked with a 4H group in TN for 3 years and the only kid that ever cleaned his gun used/uses GunZilla. It leaves a film that makes cleaning easier in gas guns.

Family Friendly,
    TNCoach

10. dontate

dontate Member

I have been using Gunzilla for 3 years. It is pricey but a little goes a very long way so I think in the long run it works out fairly. The best part of Gunzilla is that it does not hurt wood finishes and it is nonflammable. Many other cleaners I have tried attack finishes and do not clean any better. No you can't dissolve plastic with it but none of the other regular cleaners I have tried work on plastic either. If you really want to see Gunzilla work try it on a black powder gun. It gets my vote for all my guns.

11. Unknown1

Seems a bit of an over-kill to use something as pricey as Gunzilla on a black powder gun when hot water is all you need to clean THEM.

MK

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    kgun_shooter, quote: <i>"I have yet to find a commercial product that dissolves plastic!"</i>

I dissolved a pair of plastic grips on a handgun with brake cleaner in a spray can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.