1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gunstock duplication

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikeinmich, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

Are there any references out there on exactly how this is accomplished? I have seen one video showing a rifle stock and that's it. Has anyone purchased a machine and tried it out? What was your experience? I can only guess about how the stock bolt hole is drilled for a buttstock. A separate horizontal boring machine? Thanks in advance for your input.........

2. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have had and used one of the machine you are speaking of and does fine on rifle blanks. I had to much trouble drilling the stock bolts for shotgun stocks. I sold mine after a year of dissapointment. Ronnie

3. high 2

high 2 Member

I have a Don Allen duplicater. Forget trying to do the draw bolt holes. I have a fixture on my engine lathe for that. The Allen is a 5 axis machine that lets you do almost everything. Not cheap, about $10,000 now.

4. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

I've seen a machine on Ebay for quite sometime and I think they want $1100.00. Have you tried any of the cheaper models or would they just be a waste of time & money? Thanks for the info on the drawbolt holes. I would imagine that the magazine hole on the forend would also require some sort of jig on a lathe. Do you know of any books ,videos or training manuels or is this something that is passed down firsthand..............

5. high 2

high 2 Member

When you could be working on a blank that`s in $2500-$3000- range, I don`t think I`ll be useing anythig cheap. I have seen what you are talking about, but never used one. I`m totaly self taught except for a book from Brownells getting me started in the right direction on checkering. Always been good with my hands. Larry

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I made my own duplacator, Bought the plans for about $20.00 and maybe spent $150 to make the machine. It works fine. I even use it on stone carvings. It could be easly set up for stocks. You can find the plans on the internet. You have to use a simple cheap wood lathe to aline the stock bolt hole.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

When I was making stocks, I found it much simpler to sen the wood to Bishop's and let them do the initial shaping. The only duplicator I used was a very large machine at a furniture manufacturing plant. It did a reasonable job on a piece of wood that looked great in block form, but wasn't that great on the inside. Not unlike opening a Christmas present, you don't know what is inside the box.

Pat Ireland

8. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

I think that I've found the plans on Copycarver. What kind of drill bit and jig did you use on the lathe?

9. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

I've taken the plunge and invested in a duplicator but still in the dark about the drawbolt holes. I'm not looking to create high end stocks. I just enjoy finishing and checkering; mostly for myself. Is there a way I can accomplish this myself or just try to find a local machine shop to drill the blanks for me? If a jig can be configured to work on a lathe what kind of bit would work? Even with a high speed cutter the chips and dust are going to accumulate ...I'm committed now so please help me out if you can........Thanks Oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ant250-3d gunstock duplicator
don allen duplicating machine

don allen duplicator

don allen duplicator minnesota
don allen gunstock duplicator
don allen spindle duplicator
don allen stock duplicator
gunstock duplication