1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gunsmithing question about the recoid pad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Har3rdus, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Har3rdus

Har3rdus Member

I have a Marlin model 120 mag in 12 gauge that needs to be refinished. It appears that the recoid pad has been glued to the spacer and stock. Is this possible? The repair schematic shows that the recoil pad should have two wood screws holding the pad to the stock. Now what do I do to remove the recoil pad and refinish the stock?

True blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry in PA

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Absolutely possible, though more then likely not done by Marlin. More then likely if the adhesive is very strong, you are going to destroy the spacer and pad, trying to remove.

If you are planning on refinishing, you could try to soak some adhesive remover between the stock and spacer, such as acetone, though it will more then likely dissolve the spacer somewhat, or the pad if you get some on there.

3. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Are you SURE there are no "hidden slits" screw locations on the old pad?

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Good point Bob. I should not insinuate. The slits in the pad are not detectable, without pulling them apart at times. If you do find the slits, use petroleum jelly on the screw driver as to not rip up the rubber when turning the screws.

5. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

I have had this problem with perazzi take a hot air gun heat it and you can take it off with no damage dont over heat it,Dan if they put good pads on then you would't have to replace them,there pads are a little better now than then,Dan

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Warm it up with a hair dryer then get a piece of fishing line and work in between the pad and stock like you would flossing your teeth. Works for me.

Regards

W&W

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have had recoil pads that have been expoxyed on the stock in the past. I use a 3 inch wide thin pudy knife. I place it between the pad and the stock and hit down with a hammer. It usually comes off with no damage to the stock.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.