1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gunsmith Ruins Your Gun - Now What?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SevenMaryThree, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I have a really nice SxS from Beretta. It is a rather unique and hard to find model and configuration as it was a European market shotgun.

I took it to a nationally known gunsmithing operation to have it rust blued as part of a muzzle to butt re-finishing project to give the hard hunted beauty new life.

They called a month after I dropped it off and said "Great news! The barrels are hard soldered and we can hot blue them in light of this new information." I asked if they were absolutely certain, to which the replied in the affirmative. I gave the go ahead to do the work.

A couple of weeks later I get the gun back and it looks great. Later I notice two minor bluing imperfections, but nothing enough to bother me. Then I took the gun out and shot it.

After shooting it the ejector springs broke and there is now a visible gap at the union where the mono-bloc meets the barrels. It is about .004-.006" of a gap, visible around the circumference of the barrels and under the swamped rib as well.

My fear is that while the barrels may have been hard soldered, it looks to my untrained eye that the mono-bloc to barrel joint was adversely affected by the hot bluing and are now separating.

I took the gun back to the gunsmith last Friday. They suggested that it go back to Beretta for evaluation. My concern is that Beretta USA does not have the domestic capability to repair the gun (regardless of the definitive diagnoses of what is going on here.)

The gentleman that waited on me said that if it was determined that there is damage and it was something they did, that they would make it right.

Fine...but in the five days that have elapsed I figured a manager would at least attempt to reach out to me if only to reassure me that the situation would be handled professionally and with managerial oversight. That's what I personally do when my company screws something up.

I penned a letter outlining the chronology and description of the events and my subsequent concerns. I want to be proactive to protect my interests but want to maintain diplomacy until such time that a clearer picture of the options is revealed.

How would you proceed?

In this Beretta group photo, the gun in question is the second from the top.

PBeretta.jpg?t=1289087684

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

No reason not to trust that they won't make things right. They are probably just waiting for what Beretta has to say so they can proceed from there.

A lot of unnecessary communication can lead to confusion in a hurry! Ask me how I know.

I understand your concern about wanting to protect your investment. Just give everyone a chance to make it right before jumping to conclusions.

ss

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I had a brand new Beretta 687 EELL do the same thing after the first three shots. I took it to Beretta at the Grand and they soldered the barrels back into the mono block on sight. Have not had any issues since that time. I would contact Beretta USA service and ask for Les. I don't think your gun is "ruined", I think it needs a relatively minor repair.

Bob

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Beretta can take months for their part of the action-- this wont move as fast as taking a car in to be repaired at the chevy dealership

btw why did you change your mind and not have it rust blued?

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Bob,

That is encouraging, thank you. Your reply does help alleviate some of my concerns. I will wait it out and see what the verdict is before getting any more worked up about it.

I think I will buy a replacement for it anyway, just in case.

6. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Gene,

I initially chose rust bluing as I was unsure about the ability of the construction of my particular barrels to withstand the rigors of immersion bluing.

When I first dropped the barrels off, they took them in back to test the barrel solder. The associate came back out after having one of the gunsmiths take a look at it...and he came out and wrote it up as rust blue.

When I was contacted a month later, the gunsmith I spoke with said that they had made the determination that the barrels were hard soldered and subsequently could be therefore be hot blued. He said the hot blue would be a deeper, "wetter" blue than the rust blue which is more of a satin finish.

I understand that rust bluing is a lot of work and has a price to reflect that. Price was not an issue for me. When I hire out a job that requires a technical skill I generally follow the advice of vetted experts. Since this is a well known company I considered the advice to be coming from a vetted expert vendor.

Either I placed to much trust in the expert, or an otherwise expert vendor made a bad call this time.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not having done the work in a month- already a flag should pop up- either they are way too busy or something is going on

There are many people that do bluing- and a fine job and even hand filing and polishing

to wait months for a simple bluing job seems odd-

Of course if this is a historic restoration or something then that is a different situation

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Simmons Gun Specialties botched a Beretta SXS reblue the same way, did not make it right. Beretta fixed it, I disputed the CC charge to Simmons, paid Beretta. All good.

No more Simmons for me.

Who did your gun? It should have been on the way back to them the next day, with their blessing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mono bloc barrels hidden joint

simmons gun bluing