1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gunsmith did not fix the problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

A friend of mine took his Kolar to a gunsmith, set up in a trailer at Ohio State Shoot and charged him $275 and said he installed new firing pins and springs in kis Kolar, it was mis-firing on the bottom Bbl.

After picking it up and shooting the Hdcp it still misfired,

I said take it to Pete McCall his trailer is nearby, well Pete tore it down and the reciever and firing pin holes were never cleaned, as I saw first hand the caked dirt that came out, if firing pins were replaced they were used ones,
    They were too short and did not hit the primers in the center, firing pin was hitting toward the top, by turning the dummy primer and pulling the trigger again there were dents opposite of each other, Pete selected a new longer pin and did the process again until he got the firing pin to center the primer, and replaced the springs.

This same gunsmith worked a Browning Combo for a problem on the top Bbl
    and when she got it back it would not let hammer fall for 2nd shot in doubles and it worked fine before he worked on it. But he left the grounds before the shoot was over and she could not ask for a refund, he had installed used parts and told her they were new. Evidently he did not dry fire the gun with empty hulls to check out his work.

And these 2 knew each other, and shoot together.

The first supposedly repair was done before noon and then at 5:00 pm I had him take it to Pete.

He went back to the original gunsmith and asked for a refund as the repair was not properly done and he refused to refund him any money.

I will not name the gunsmith, but he and I will never let him touch our guns again.

Should he have refunded any money?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Two sides to every story.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

At all of these major shoots there are several itinerant gunsmiths & stock fitters that travel the circuit. Again, word to the wise, check for insurance, do they expect payment in cash (only), if something goes wrong DO they have the ability to make you whole. Without insurance, what would you do if shoddy workmanship, theft or fire destroys the value of a valuable firearm. Maybe before these so-called gunsmiths are allowed on any club property-they should provide proof of insurance, holding the club & all organizations involved with the shoot harmless. I had to do this when I was in business.

Phil Berkowitz

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gary you are a great guy. You are willing to let fellow shooter get burnt. If you are sure of what you say then help others. If you are not sure then keep quiet.

What was the point of the thread then??

Don

5. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

I have to agree with BigDon,why start the thread if you don't let your fellow shooters know who the gunsmith was to keep others from being burnt.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gary Bryant Dr.longshot, just telling us there's a POS out there scamming shooters out of their money is a waste of time, unless we know who to avoid?

The way your post is written, it's telling me, you and your buddy won't get burned by this gherk but good luck to everyone else??

Please use all capital letters if you do identify this POS,Gherk,Thief,Liar,Cheat or any other descriptive terms he fits! Does he have an ATA membership? Evidently he does if he shoots competitively with one of his friends he also scammed! Do the right thing for our sport, expose this cheat for what he is! Send me his name?

Gene Hapney

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

wilehunting

"I have to agree with BigDon,why start the thread if you don't let your fellow shooters know who the gunsmith was to keep others from being burnt."

If you are agreeing with BIGDON that would make you correct. Your question to the DR(huh)is answered very easily he is on another fishing expedition. Just to see how many hits he can get on a lure that has no hooks.

Bob Lawless

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Why did you not take the gun back to the gunsmith to let him correct the problem? Gunsmiths are not Jesus Christ, we can't rest our hand on the gun to bless it, and all is good for the rst of your life. We ARE human, we do make mistakes, but we also would like the opportunity to correct it.

Why didn't you go to Pete first, he is a Kolar Rep.

Doug

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

If a Kolar Rep was there (Pete McCall) what are you doing taking it anyplace but to the Kolar Rep .

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have to agree with Alf and Doug.

I had the pins and springs replaced in one of my Browning o/u's and the smith gave me the old parts back but I didn't keep them. It seems like there is only one way a Browning pin can go in because of the grooves or slots in the pin. I'm not a gunsmith but this is how I remember it.

Dr. L, Who shoots together your friends or the gunsmiths?

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

"If a Kolar Rep was there (Pete McCall) what are you doing taking it anyplace but to the Kolar Rep ."

maybe they saved $5.00.

tony

12. over/under

over/under Member

Probably tried to get it done less expensive. Some people never learn. Now is cheapest always the best. How good is inexpensive if it's not fixed right???

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

More foolishness from the good Dr. Longshorts. FREE NEIL!!

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Another "Unnamed" individual. Is he an ATA representative too? Free Neil!

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You are doing everyone on TS.Com an injustice by not naming the first gunsmith so they can avoid him just like you and your buddy will from now on ... Give it up ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

Gary, You said a Kolar rep "Pete" is at the shoot....and the gun goes to Hacksaw Clem.....You guys are fools or cheap.

17. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

If I spend $10,000 plus on a trap gun the only one to ever work on it is the people that made it . But thats just me

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Like I said, there are always two sides to every story. In this country it is customary for the accused to have a chance to answer the accuser. By not naming the gunsmith your claim looks less than honest.

Unless the story is embellished. We can't be sure. Without all the information there is little point to mentioning it at all.

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Well said, Barry, and I agree... Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If I had listed his name you all would have piled on me, just as you have and I did not post his name.

Now go one step further have any of you fellow shooters exoierenced a bad gun-smith did not at least refund part of his charges, especially when you did not feel good enough about the non-fixed problem.

The worst part was installing used parts and not replacing springs that he said he replaced.

He did not possess the stepped drill that is made especially for a Kolar firing pin hole to clean out burnt powder residues.

Nor does he have the special made lead primers for checking firing pin primer centers.

Pete knows who it was, as he told him who worked on the gun, he took it to him because Pete evidently had not arrived yet.

Those that sent me a personal message was told who he was.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar gunsmith