1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUNSAMERICA Needs some PR help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by watchknut, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchknut

watchknut TS Member

I am not one to start things over the interwebs, but sometimes you get an email and wonder what was the person thinking by sending it. Last week I agreed to buy one of those "too good to be true" deals on GUNSAMERICA. The funny thing is that I have bought guns, watches, antiques and art over the years that were "too good to be true." Maybe I am lucky or maybe I am shrewd, but either way, I have not been scammed and own some wonderful pieces that I would never have been able to afford without the seller knowing the true value.

This deal was in CA, probably the same guy that ran the Grand American scam, and the seller would not agree to drop the gun off at an FFL for a face to face transaction--pretty easy to know that it was a scam, so no harm no foul and I did not lose out.

After I did my homework, I received the following email from GUNSAMERICA customer service:

GunsAmerica Fraud Warning 1172115?

You contacted a seller about a drastically underpriced Parker repro
    here. This is a scammer it has been removed.

Please remember, before you get ripped off.

IF IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT'S NOT TRUE!

Everyone knows what guns are worth. You have given up your identity to
    an international identity thief because you thought you could steal a
    gun at a ridiculous price. Don't be so stupid.

--
    GunsAmerica Customer Service
    customerservice@gunsamerica.com
    GunsAmerica
    Where America Buys and Sells Guns
    http://www.gunsamerica.com

When I responded that I appreciated the email, but though they might want to reword the response and not call their clients "stupid", and that I would choose to sell my guns elsewhere, I received the following:

Good! Go get yourself ripped off their you idiot.

GunsAmerica

I am not going to take the pot shots about grammar, education level of the writer and/or mental capacity, but I am rather surprised that this considered "customer service." I am also not one to enter into online arguments and resort the lows of name calling--life it too short. So why not air on the forum, right?

With almost everyone on the forums and in the gun trade being on the whole an honest and friendly group, I wonder if anyone had any insight into why GUNSAMERICA is so hostile?

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful holiday.

2. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

If this really is the response from Guns American and not some scammer/hacker. You are not the only customer-potential customer they are loosing. The respose as you typed it in is unprofessional.

Jim Bradbury

3. watchknut

watchknut TS Member

I double and triple checked, it is from gunsamerica.com. I am not sure why the hacker/scammer would send an email alerting me the scam, but I could be wrong.

I am still in disbelief that someone would be so unprofessional. Can you imagine getting that from Gunbroker.com or eBay?

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

+1 for GunsAmerica!

When speaking to idiots ... you must use language that they understand!

Looks like they got their message across to you.

5. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I know you said you double and triple checked to see if it was really from GA, but it is hard to believe they would word their initial email that way.

Just to be sure, why not send a separate email (not using the reply from the original) and ask them if that was really from them?

Bob

6. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Gunsamerica posts the exact same language on their website where they highlight their exclusive recommendation of USPS for non-credit card payments. The only explanation for this appears to be that they have an idea of what a certain gun should sell for and since their revenue is based on a percentage of the total sale price, they lose revenue to "idiots" who strike "too-good-to-be-true" deals with "scammers". It's fine to propose a policy that protects customers but this is a little too pretentious.

7. watchknut

watchknut TS Member

I am still trying to see how I am an idiot here? Did I send payment? No. Did I lose anything? No. What about the people that get great deals everyday? Are they idiots too?

If everyone wants to pay top dollar for an item and never get a good deal, then go right ahead. I do not know about you, but I value my dollar and like to save them when I can.

8. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

watchknut, Ahab is obviously stirring the pot and being a troll.

you can be sent an email that appears to be from another party that is a scam. Go to the email link on the gunsamerica site and forward them your emails and ask if this is from them or is a spoof. There have been several ebay and paypal schemes where you get an email from them asking for you to change your log in or update your info by clicking a link in their email and it is a scam.

if you use the link on the website and still get a response similar to these, please let us all know. Personally I think gunsamerica is highly unorganized and unprofessional to start with, gunbroker seems to be much more professionally ran in my opinion.

good luck, Paul

9. watchknut

watchknut TS Member

Paul,

I will take you advice and let you know what I hear. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read.

Matt

10. watchknut

watchknut TS Member

Unbelievable, here is the response:

Yes Matt, it came from us. As someone very wise on a forum post on this very subject noted, "when you speak to idiots you have to speak their language." It isn't just about sending the money as many people think. Once the scammers have your email address and other other contact info they can mess up your whole life without you even realizing it. If we aren't clear about this people like you will do it again and again until you lose, and you will lose.

So go post that on your forum. I didn't suspend your account as I should have for bursting into tears like a 3 year old who got caught in the cookie jar. There are many types of professionalism. Consider this approach nextgen.

GunsAmerica

On 12/21/2011 4:00 PM, matt donohue wrote:

Hello,

I received the email below from your customer service and think that it might be someone that hijacked the email address as I was shocked to get such a response.

You contacted a seller about a drastically underpriced Parker repro
    here. This is a scammer it has been removed.

Please remember, before you get ripped off.

IF IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT'S NOT TRUE!

Everyone knows what guns are worth. You have given up your identity to
    an international identity thief because you thought you could steal a
    gun at a ridiculous price. Don't be so stupid.

--
    GunsAmerica

Please confirm that you sent or did not send this email, as I would hate to have someone out there hurting your reputation.

Regards,

Matt

11. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Consider this approach nextgen? That is too funny.

When they talk about idiots, that really is the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it.

Regards,
    Chip

12. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

I think I read some where on the internet that George soros owns Gunsamerica.com :)

13. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Watchknut:
    Thank you for sharing that information with us. Mike

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Maybe that is one reason why they have disposable email addresses.

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

What was the price and description of that Repro?

16. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

The challenge for GA is to not let scammers post adds. Sounds like they have some work to do.

The challenge for support people is to educate customers without insulting them. Details about how "they can mess up your whole life without you even realizing it." would have been helpful.

I was a support person myself once and took a strict line with a new Hewlett-Packard employee calling my company for assistance. Her boss called me the next day saying she had quit and left crying. He said it would have been nice if I had helped her. I was stupid about how to work with people. I changed my ways and received an HP coffee mug for Christmas after helping someone else in at HP. Key point in my career. I should have tried to get a job with that manager.

17. Crickets

Crickets Member

Ppoor customer service should never be rewarded. Deleting that web site from my favorites. Not like I ever see an actual deal there.

18. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

IF this is true, why would you even consider doing further business with these assholes? A total waste of time and energy!

19. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

WOW -

I would say that's uncalled for. Thanks for posting - as another wise person on a forum once said, "Life's too short to suffer fools and assholes." Gunbroker's customer service is actually helpful. GUNSAMERICA / Nextgen my ass. Kiss it.

20. shootsome

shootsome Member

I had a similar experience with GA a couple of years ago. I had trouble using their website and they informed me that if I needed that much hand holding I should go elsewhere - which I did. I never reward rude service with additional business. I've bought guns on TS.com and all were excellent people to deal with and honest with their transactions. Companies should be aware of employees that are not fit to talk to people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.