1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guns, trunks, motels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What do you guys do with your guns at motels? I always drive a sedan with trunk when traveling overnight with guns. I bring the guns into the room for the night, but generally keep them in the car if I come back to the motel to use the pool, or to clean-up and change then go to out to eat. I don't like guns in the room when I'm not there. There are lots of keys to the rooms available but only I have a key to my trunk.

But my present car had a button release for the trunk on the dash, and no way to disable it. I hate the idea of the guns in car at a restaurant or anyplace else I may stop, and that anybody breaking into the car can get into the trunk.

So what to you guys do, especially guys with pick-ups and SUVs?

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Good question--We travel (most of the time) in a camper so don't have the motel problem but still have to leave the camper unattended at times so have very similar situation. Hoping for a good idea from somebody smarter than me. Ross Puls

3. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

I don't think I travel anywhere without my P shooter and a case of shells. I have a pick up, my business affornds me to be on the road so I never know what club I might stop at. I just use a cable lock to my case but chances are if they want it there going to take your ride not just the guns. Now if they know you have guns and it becomes an inside job the cable lock is something there not going to be prepared for. I just drilled a hole through my aluiminum case, then put the cable through that then through the seatbelt mount.

4. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

Sounds like you are doing everything you can at to locking things up. The biggest giveaway for car break-ins is a bunch of NRA, ATA, NSSA, NSCA stickers on the car.

5. NintyT

NintyT Member

You can easily disable the trunk release button by unplugging the wire from the release solenoid inside the trunk. When I was using a sedan, I also mounted two short pieces of heavy chain, which only allowed the trunk to be opened far enough for me to reach in and unlock the padlock that I hooked the chains together with. The security allowed me to relax a bit when I was away from the car. Steve j

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Without telling all my secrets, a long bike cable lock under the back seat in my pickup allows my gun cases to be anchored down. The way i do it, the lock will not allow the seat to be lifted to even access the gun cases. I've not been broken into so its not been tested by the pros. The bike locks are cheap security. To me its all about making it more difficult. The more time a crook has to spend the less likely he/she will do the job or at least complete it. My pickup has the Crew Cab backseat so two cased guns will fit under there. Thats all i ever have with me. I also have dark tinted rear windows which in my mind helps hide whats in there. I try to not have obvious gun related items in view when i'm not around. Of course if your at a shoot, they know why you are there. My guns always come in the house with me. I live in a very safe neighborhood and have a secure garage to park in. Even so, they never ride the night out in the vehicle.

I use (2) of these.
    grntitan_2009_250390.jpg

7. leadvail

leadvail Member

The factory alarm system that is standard in most cars would scare the daylites out of me if I was a crook in a motel parking lot.

I also depend on a home security system and so far.....knock on wood.

Once I hit the police button by mistake when my dogs jumped on me and in my home town the local leos were there (2 cars blocking the drive) with hands on the grips in less than 5 min and asked for a walk through before leaving. Needless to say, I was totally impressed with both the SO and alarm. Bob

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Courtesy the US Army via Truck Vault, Inc. Called the "extreme vault" because it is.

MK

9. missed some

missed some TS Member

i rely on insurance more than anything. if they want it they are probably gonna get it.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Good question, too bad I don't have an answer.

I don't like leaving guns in the room when I'm out of the room either. Really don't like leaving guns in the trunk either. So I've made a compromise, I leave one gun in the trunk and one in the room. I figure they won't break into both the car and room at the same time, so I'll have at least one gun to use the next day.

Not much help, but that is what I do.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Once you get in your room order out and stay in your room.

12. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

they usually don't try to steal what they can't see unless they saw you put it there. i was at a shoot and went to a cafe for lunch. they broke into the truck to steal a $ 500 camera in the back seat. there was $ 50,000 worth of shotguns locked under the tonneau cover of the truck ?

ernie

13. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Need I say anymore.

14. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

When travelling, we always advoid advertising what we have,,,,no gun stickers, NRA etc. sticker on the windows,,,,look around to see how many eyes are watching us unload,,,,if there are too many people around, I wait until dark....

15. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I am a long range shooter along with shooting trap and when I traveling I end up taking my guns in to the motel room at dark and I stay with them till I leave in the morning. You do get some looks when you come rolling in a big rifle case in to the motel but I have never been stop and told that I couldn't bring them in.

16. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Well I am a fan of the RV so you forgo all the nonesense. Then when you got to big shoot generally you camp with the same folks. I have a spot at the Cardinal with friends all around. I did not expect to the Claymore, that is a solution provided you can disable it when you enter the trunk. I have seen many ingenious vaults in car trunks and pickup beds and that would be my option Heck, that is what I have in the RV anyway. I also replaced the standard lock on it with a deadbolt but I have a gun vault in it too. Only other advice is to remove any stickers from your car that would identify you as a shooter. Folks know when a big shoot is in town and word gets around that we shoot $1000 guns at a minimum. But a K or P sticker on your car and they know they scored.

But seriously, consider the RV option. It is serious peace of mind on this topic and the wife and dogs love it too. Teh foos bill is substantially less and if you have to ask about teh gas mileage, well then buy the Claymore!

17. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

When I travel, my guns always go into the motel or hotel room at night. I try to avoid motels with outside doors to the rooms where someone could sit in the parking lot and see me unload my guns into a specific room. Small hotels with inside hallways are better. Someone may see me unload my guns but they don't know which room I'm in.

I agree that many people have keys to your room but motel parking lots are high crime areas. I feel my guns are safer in my room. The key is to get them into the room without attracting attention.

Get gun insurance. SIAI is what I have.

I do try to keep an eye on my car when I travel but I don't get paranoid about it. But I do keep a loaded handgun on the nightstand when I'm in the room.

18. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I've got mixed feelings about this. It seems to me that there's always a risk no matter what you do. Logically, your gun should stay with you in your room, but it occurs to me that it's hard to miss a gun case that says Perazzi in 5 inch letters when you walk in and out of your hotel. I try to avoid large hotels, just because they seem to be a bigger risk, and I try to park where I can see my car from my window.

I drive an SUV with dark glass, and I do all my gun fiddling at the club, and cover it up with a dark blanket before I leave. You can't really see anything through the windows from the outside, even in daylight.

When I get to the hotel, I never open up the tailgate; if I need something from the back, I just open the glass without opening the tailgate, and I arrange my stuff so I seldom need to.

I do have an alarm and I agree that ATA and NRA stickers are just a dead giveaway.

Funny thing is, I think nothing of leaving my tailgate wide open during a shoot. I may rethink that after hearing about some of the stories from San Antonio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.