1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guns To Be Banned For Elderly

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Big Heap, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Guns To Be Banned For Elderly

Staff Reports
    United Press International
    Washington

Deputy Attorney General Designate David Ogden is circulating a draft of an executive order in which, among other things, firearms possession would be severely limited for people over 60.
    An assistant to Ogden told us, "It appears that in these changing times, it is no longer necessary to allow the elderly to be armed. With all of their physical ailments and increasing senility, to leave them in control of a deadly weapon would be ludicrous."
    While the Executive Order may sound too powerful, experts in Constitutional law state that it is not actually un-Constitutional.
    "It's a question of wording." states Columbia Law Professor, Dr. John Braxton. "The Constitution forbids the Congress, that is, the legislative branch, from passing any laws infringing on gun ownership. The executive branch is not included in this proviso. As long as the Congress doesn't get involved, it's technically a non-issue."
    The Justice Department was tossing the idea of a gun ban for seniors during the Carter and Clinton Administration, but public opinion stopped these initiatives. Now, the Obama White House believes differently.
    An unnamed aide close to Ogden agreed to talk on the condition of anonymity.
    "Clinton and Carter didn't have as much of a mandate as President Obama. They were both Southerners, and the Second Amendment was sacrosanct to their constituents. However, President Obama comes from a new sort of politics, where divisive issues like firearms do not apply to him."
    "Quite frankly, it's a shame that no one has had the good conscience to have done this already. It's a simple process, and the majority of the American people will understand it and follow the law."
    The enforcement mechanism for this particular executive order has not been published. It is likely that the confiscation of weapons will be similar to Great Britain 's handgun ban, in which citizens willingly gave the weapons to police.
    It is expected that the executive order will be given around July 1, when senior-related gun deaths reach their peaks.
    The aide to Ogden stated: "For eight years you see the rolling back of regulation, and crime has skyrocketed. In fact, in Massachusetts alone, murders have risen 50% since 2002. Armed robbery has also risen dramatically. With such circumstances, we must act boldly..."

I can't help but ask, "How much of this crime was committed by people over 60?" And how much of this crime was committed on people over 60 who are unarmed?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Oh come on, Big Heap, you didn't believe this, did you?

Neil

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

After the Obama rein of the last four months, I'd believe anything.

Read the bill: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/text

4. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

if this insanity is true, then the ata, should be throwing a snot slinging sunday fit, cause a hellva lot of ata shooters are over 60 and beyond, think they call it vet and senior vet classes, but then again maybe u do have to be a bit senile to shoot trap, especially when u just blew a good score on the last trap...dk

5. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

If being over 60 is elderly then "FEAR THE ELDERLY", because they have had a lot of years to practice, and nothing to lose. Michael

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We have laws against age descrimination. HMB

7. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

hmb...if you think there are effective laws against age discrimination, then you haven't been looking for a job lately.

Bruce

9. 3357

3357 Member

Who has the stones to take a gun away from "the elderly"?

10. Twixter

Twixter Member

I bellive Charlton Heston said it. "When they pry my cold dead hands from around it." Mick

11. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

b-b-b-bull poop!
    -Trappy

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

And I say Trappy-poop.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I figure 60 is about the age when a person is at the age where they are not going to fight and maybe take an ass kicking, this might have something to do with it ... I'm 60 and don't heal like I used to so its plan II from now on and that can be deadly serious ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    STOP GIVING OBAMA IDEAS!!!!

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I think you could challenge an Executive Order that deprives one of a constitutional right. The reason I say this is that states or other juridictions will pass laws and are challenged based on whether the law is constitutional; the law doesn't exclusively originate from Congress. Any Executive Order that infringes on gun rights should be challenged as to the constitutionality of such an order. BT-100dc

16. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

If that happens, which I seriously doubt, it'll pretty well clean out the Vet and Sr Vet classes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.