1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guns Rooms/Safes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bob31, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob31

bob31 TS Member

Does anyone have any pictures of their gun rooms or safes? I'm trying to get ideas for an open gun rack in my reloading room? Thanks

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

I don't have any pictures, but the best set-up I've ever seen was a "safe-type" door that opened up onto a gun room with racks and all the reloading gear. All walls were double-block construction. Not sure what the ceiling was. I was told at the time it was mostly for fire protection.

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

This is what I have in my shop. Eventually, I'll finish up the other wall with T&G. The racks hold about 90 guns. The room is 11 ft x 11 ft.

<a href="http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q20/GunDr_Photo/?action=view¤t=vault_220.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q20/GunDr_Photo/?action=view¤t=vault_inside_220.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

GunDr....what is the roof/ceiling made of?

Ken

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Because I rodded and poured all of the cores, I left a few longer pieces of rod exposed above the walls, with a hook bent in them.

I then chiseled in 3 I-beams into the top of the walls and mudded them in. On the beams, I laid 3/4" plywood to the oustide edge of the walls, then taped the seams with duct tape, to keep the water from the concrete from dripping through.

Around the top of the walls, I placed a welded angle iron frame...3" x 2". I used the frame for the concrete form.

I did drill a hole in the plywood in the center of the room and stuck a piece of 3/4" schedule 80 in it for wiring later.

I have a lot of scrap steel laying around, so I threw it up on the plywood for "re-rod", then proceeded to carry a 1/2 bucket of cement up a ladder and began dumping it. Took me about 5 hours just to cement the top.

I finished it off with a trowel and can use the space for storage.

Though the walls meeting the floor are not anchored (in floor heat), the cores are rodded and filled, and the ceiling is concrete, anchored to the walls.

The door I picked up, used. A farmer not far from here had two, I took the better one, had it sandblasted and painted, and picked up a digital lock from McMaster-Carr. In total, I have $1400 in the 4 hour fireproof door. I can open it from the inside.

I don't remember how many blocks I used, but this was the first time I ever layed block and it took me 3 weeks to lay them. I guess I did alright, my diagonal measurement for squareness was off 1/4".

The vault sits completely within the shop. I can walk behind it. This allowed me to add a motion detector back there, if someone decided to attack from behind the building.

Though I haven't had any problems (knock on wood), I am very glad I went this route. You never know who's coming into the shop just to "check it out". Everyone says "WOW, that's pretty secure" and I say "you betcha".

I do have a few other "non lethel" secrets that I cannot devuldge, for added protection.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a security system on my house to wake me and warn anyone who trys to break in, the thing after the alarm is a lethal injection of lead in the form of a jacketed hollow point ... I have a sign in the front window that says "this house protected by shotgun 3 days a week, you guess which 3" ... WPT ... (YAC) ... <<<<----- (Does not play well with others who are not invited in the middle of the night)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.