1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun's POI?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gun

I have been shooting trap now for 5 years and i have a lot of things i still don't understand completely. Can someone give me answers in laymens terms?

(1) what is floating the target

(2) what does 80/20 or 70/30 etc. mean in reference to the guns POI.

(3) why do some guns shoot better at 16yds with a modified or IM and others shoot better with a full or light full?
    (4) how do i pattern my gun correctly and what am i looking for besides where my gun is shooting.
    Like i said i've been shooting trap for 5yrs and i am a low to mid 90's shooter average wise. I shoot a BT100 and ocasionally one of my BT99's depending on which one is helping my average.---Matt

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

(1) floating the target is aiming at the target so there is space between the front bead and the target. The target is above the bead.

(2) 80/20 means when you aim at the center of a target 80% of the pattern is above the center of the target and 20% of the pattern is below the center of the target.

(3) You want a gun that fits you. You want a gun that hits where you are looking. You want a gun that has a POI that matches your style of shooting.
    The chokes are not that important if the 3 things above are not right.

(4) You can try shooting staight aways from station 3 and adjust your gun so the hits are centered(ink balls). You can also pattern your gun at 13 yards to make sure it is a straight shooter, not shooting to the left or right. HMB

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

1. "Floating the target" refers to being able to see a definite vertical distance between the bird and the bead when latter goes off. Different situations are "base of the target" and "covering the bird" whose definitions can be extrapolated from the first.

Not all see a bead-bird relationship, of course, and to the ones who don't I suppose the former is meaningless.

2. The percentage system refers, to the (small) extent it refers to anything, is how high above the pattern is in comparison to where the bead is telling you it would be. (There are actually two definitions based on pellets or not, but they conflict and the most adamant proponents of one of them make no sense at all and go nuts if you point that out, so what's the point?) 80/20 is kind of high, 70/30 is lower, but the ones who talk like that don't know where their guns shoot, generally, so don't listen (much) when you hear it cited. The ones who refer, instead, to the distance the center of the pattern is above the point of aim (. . .where the bead is telling you it would be. . .) may well know where their guns shoot, vertically and their testimony might at least be tucked away in your memory somewhere, though there's no assurance whatever that it would be right for _you_.

3. What's best is more complicated. Everything you mentioned will work and a few thousand targets of each will lead to favor, at least provisionally, one or two. Fewer targets will still give you an impression but you are pretty much guessing which really won't hurt as long as you use modified at least, tighter probably better. Certainly tighter as you move back.

4. read the link above

Neil

and here's another link with more information from a variety of points of view

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=172562

4. grntitan

Neil---That sure gave me a better insight to what all these terms mean and puts it in a more useful perspective. I believe after shooting for 5yrs its time to pattern my guns(not a minute to soon, right?) and find out where my pattern is at. I am a right handed two eyed shooter and was raised with a 870 in my hand shooting doves. These trap guns have taken me some gett'n use to but all in all its the same game as dove hunting. Thanks much for the help.---Matt

5. grntitan

HMB---I'm sorry for my rudeness in not acknowledging you, after all you were the first to respond and gave basiclly the same info. My apologies to you and i hope this won't sour you from responding to my ,sometimes stupid questions, in the future.----Matt

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Matt No stupid questions only stupid answers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.