1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guns for my 13 year olds.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southermn, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southermn

southermn TS Member

I have a boy and girl twins that are 13 year old.They start shooting trap on the youth trapshooting team that im coaching. But the mossberge i got for them 2 years ago the are out growing them i would like to get them a trap gun. So the can handle it about keep there head up so they are looking right down the barrel.And make them put there head in the same spot every time. Sorry money is a issue.So im looking for something that wont break the bank.Any advice would be great.With having 3kids shooting trap it get expense plus i helped spounser anouther girl who dad couldnt afford. so im actaly paying for 4. Thank you very much
    Mike Thompson

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Browning BT99

Remington 870 Trap

Browning Citori

SKB also makes some pretty good Trap guns that are easier than some on the pocket book.

All of these are great guns for Trap and if taken care of will hold their value quite well. I bought my oldest son a Browning BT99 when he was 12. Served him well all the way through High School and it's waiting for him when he gets out of the Marines or comes home on leave.

3. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

BT 99, you can get a 32 or 34" barrel. Bt99 is a single barrel so if they shoot doubles the a Rem 1100 trap. BT is easy to maintain the 1100 requires more detail cleaning but the good reliable trap guns... Good luck...Ron

4. saltman

saltman TS Member

We have a CZ 712 that is Semi-Auto with adjustable L.O.P. it is a very soft shooter for young kids. I also like the 1100 and 1187. Soft shooting. Salty

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Jack West stocks makes a youth stock with a reduced LOP along with the adjustable comb that fits Remington 1100/11-87 and 870. Really depends on how big your 13 year olds are and if they are ready for a full sized gun. Mark

6. dmasencup

dmasencup Member

Academy Sports are selling some Turkish shotguns. The name brand is Yildiz. A few of the kids are using these at our range. They have a few no fire problems but with a $450.00 price tag for an OU it is expected.

7. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

LOOK at my thread on a Benelli Sport 2--if it is for your kids i will ship it to you for 1125.00 -----Joe joe90t

8. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

PM Sent.

9. Bob M

Bob M Member

I have a lightly used 391 Reduced Length PT with the plastic case, chokes and all the wrenches that is available. Heck, I still have the Beretta oil that came with it. Soft shooter that will cycle 7/8 oz loads up to 3 inchers for turkey. $800 + shipping to your FFL dealer.

Bob

10. Rkoetting

Rkoetting Member

I picked up a Beretta 3901 RL Target for my 13 year old daughter for this past Christmas. She has shot about 2000 round through it since, and is shooting league now, and her first registered targets last month. Mostly 1-oz loads at 1150-1180 FPS, but she has also tried some super-handicap 1 1/8 oz loads at 1235+ fps (she prefers the 1 oz, as do I). This Beretta has about a 12.5 inch LOP, adjustable out to about 13.75, an adjustable comb, and a 28 inch barrel. She has had no problem with recoil, and is consistently shooting 16-19's with it, and keeps improving. I added an angle port bolt handle and a Briley Closer to make operating the gun easier for her small hands. Paid about $900 new for the gun, and worth every penny. Even if she decided she hated shooting, I could probably sell the gun for $750-850 within a couple of days. Fortunately, so far she really enjoys it, says she dreams about smoking targets!

11. Wass

Wass Member

I 2nd Rkoetting's suggestion for a Beretta 3901 RL. I started my 12 year old daughter out with this gun and she is still shooting it today at age 14. Being an auto, is is light on the recoil and you can adjust the LOP as they grow.

I load up 7/8oz loads for her, so it has a nice light recoil.

I didn't add the angle port bolt handle, but I found the Briley Closer was almost a must have as the button was hard to push when she was younger.

She is shooting at the State shoot this year, her first big ATA shoot.

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The low mileage 870TB is probably the best buy out there when you can find them. $450 to $500 and worth that when you sell it. The Model 12 Y Trap is another bargain gun for a bit more money. Both will last a lifetime.

13. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

My youngest son started shooting trap at 12 years old.He started with an 870 and shot it well. When he was 17 we put a spacer between the stock and pad.He is still shooting that 870 today.He turned 30 last March and still loves his 870.And he shoots it well to this day.I think I paid $200 for it.Even today there still out there at decent prices.The last 870 I bought I got for $275 last Fall and it was in nice shape.28 inch Modified Vent Rib.I have 9 870`s right now and we love um.

14. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Thank you. The 870 is a great choice if a trap configuration gun.

15. SX12

SX12 Member

I wouldn't dream of starting children at that young age with a 12-gauge gun. Start with a 20-gauge 1100 or other semi-auto. You will know when they are ready to move up. By starting with a 20 it is much less likely that they will develop some bad habits caused from recoil. Some of these bad habits can take a long time to cure.

I strongly advise against starting with a 12-gauge, but if you do, only consider a semi-auto.

Speaking from experience.

SX12

16. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Original poster has never been back with some vital information. How big are the 13 year olds? The average 13 year old is 5 feet tall and 100#. Some are much larger and some are much smaller. The gun needs to fit the body, not the age. I reload 3/4 oz 12 gauge shells that have half the recoil of a normal 12 gauge trap load. Recoil can be addressed in a 12 gauge gun. Mark

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I disagree with SX12, I tried 20 ga. and kids with no advantage and moved them to a cut down BT 99 12 ga. starting 3/4 and 7/8 ultra light loads and then onto 1 oz.The youngest was 7-1/2 years old, my son who had absolutely no problems handling the gun or the recoil, nore did any of his friends both male and female. If you already have a 20 ga. and it fits your budget, then the question is ansewered. If you have choice, I would go with a break open gun every time, if an auto, Beretta's 3901 would be the next choice.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best gun for 10 year old shoot trap

best gun for 13 year old

good gun for a 13 year old

is trap shooting safe for 4 year olds

trap guns for 13 year old

trap guns for sale for a 13 year old

trap shooting gun for 13 year old

what size shotgun for 13 year old trap