1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guns For Investment

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jsa3107, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It doesnt seem to be a good place to put our money for investment
    Bank pays 1-2%
    Stock Market heading south
    Mattress doesnt add any value
    Real Estate doesnt seem to be a good investment
    So what about firearms might that be a good place to invest?

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

You have to buy very nice, classic, high end guns and you have to buy them right. Then it can work out well. Jake

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

check out "The Double Gun Journal" and "The Shooting Sportsman". Lots of high end stuff for sale and written about.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

" The surest way to wealth is real estate", a qoute from the Baron de Rothchild in the fall of 1929. HMB

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Obama Storm Troopers will close most of that door if he is elected.

Gold would be good. I think it still might, market tanked again today.

Silver might be better according to the price ratio with gold.

Ignore the people hawking rare coins, someone has to want them for value to exist.

Perth Mint will sell you gold and store it free. Best out there I have found so far.

HM

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

hmb has it right. Will Rogers - the Cowboy Philosopher - is supposed to have said: "Buy land...they ain't making any more of it." Best Regards, Ed

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

A high quality or historically important gun can be a good investment, but not for me. Today, real estate is down and stocks are down. I would only purchase real estate or stocks when they are down. When they are high, it is time to sell them, not buy them.

Also, I would not consider buying an investment such as real estate unless you have done the work to understand the market.

Pat Ireland

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

This was a good day to buy blue chip stocks, blue light specials. Unfortunalty, I bought Friday. The best investment in guns is old Winchester lever action rifles. Last I read they have been the best investment in American history over time. Nothing else has given such a return. I always enjoy looking at them but they aren't cheap. As Pat suggests, know the market.

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Buying guns for investment is probably not real wise. Unless of course you can buy a desirable collector gun at a very good price. I have a few old Winchesters. Most are not going to make me any money. However, a few years ago I did buy a Model 70, (pre-64), a Model 12 trap and a Model 97 from a gentleman in Florida. He just wanted to get rid of them and I did buy them "right". However, those deals are far and few between. Sometimes you can luck out. But buying from a gun show, Gunbroker.com, GunsAmerica, etc. will usually not produce a good buy, by any means. Ed

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

15 years ago I purchased a couple of shotguns that are worth today at least twice what I paid for them. I was lucky I knew a guy at the club who knew which guns to buy. Certain models and grades people want and other models of the same brand are worthless.

6 months ago I ran into a friend who worked on Wall Street 10 years ago. He retired in his 40s. I asked him what he was doing with his money these days? He invited me over to his house the next day, to show me what he was doing with his money. When I walked into his house he show me an M1 rifle. Then he took me into his basement and I saw cans of ammo. He also showed me 2 new Ruger mini 14s and the ammo to go with it. Guns and ammo is where he is putting his money. He told me that he hoped he was wrong but he thought the s was going to hit the fan.

He has a small farm about an hour or so out of town. We drove out there and he had a lake put in and stocked it with fish. He has a nice selection of fruit trees growing. Probably about 10 acres of woods for fuel and firewood.

That was 6 months ago. Dam I wish I had taken my money out of the market and purchased guns, ammo, and land.

11. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Have made good money over the years in class 3. Collectors are money makers if bought right. Just like everything else the key is bought right.

Can't have to many guns or to much ammo, as the post above says.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to buy expensive high-grade collectibles to realize a return on your investment. Ordinary hunting rifles are experiencing notable price increases these days and if you buy a used one that is popular (Remington 700s, for instance), in good condition and in a caliber other than .30-06 (the used rifle market is flooded with them), you'll do okay selling them in five years or so. You won't make a ton on each one but the percentage of profit will be attractive and there are a lot more buyers out there for them than a high-grade gun. The 6.5mm calibers possibly are the ones that will experience the most growth in coming years - they could be like the 7mms in the '80s and '90s.

The sleeper of the rifle market right now is a Savage Model 10-family bolt action. They bring significantly less than a Model 700 but their popularity is growing because shooters are learning that they are very high quality actions, their AccuTrigger is a good one, the rifles are quite accurate and the barrels can be changed in minutes with two tools. I predict that the Savage action will be the next Remington 700 to the benchrest crowd because of its accuracy and the bolt is modular, so you can change the bolt face to match the cartridge you want to shoot. Because of that, one receiver can be used with many barrels in various chamberings. Bolt handles are easily changed as well, making the receiver the most flexible, easily converted one available.

One of those rifles bought for $240 today might become one of the best investments you made in few years.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.