1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guns Doubled; How Unusual!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnjohn91387, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

I recently shot on a doubles squad where one squad member had to withdraw, due to his gun doubling. (Firing both shells with ONE trigger pull).

I've never seen or heard a gun "double" before, so this was something new. I've read about it, and know what it is, and so on, but never witnessed it.

Then, you can imagine my surprise when a second shooter on the same squad also had to withdraw for the same reason. IN the same 100 bird event. This was a regular 50 pair doubles event.

Two shooters from the same doubles squad had to withdraw due to their guns doubling.

One Perazzi, and one gun that is not as well known, a Franchi.

How unusual!

A little something different for your Monday review of TS.com.

JOhn

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

My first Beretta would double. I bought it used and the first owner shot double release. When the "gunsmith"???? converted it back to pull / pull it would double. I took it to the Grand and Beretta replaced the sears in the trigger, never doubled after that. Bill Malcolm

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

John, how unusual that you have never witnessed this....

It's uncomfortable to say the least!! But totally destroys the first bird!! Squadmates are usually impressed with your manliness in handling "stout" loads and the results!!

My Perazzi will double if dirt, grit, or grease get on the trigger sears. A good cleaning, and alls well...

Jim C

Hell, Michigan

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I like the way Krieghoffs "RING" when they double. It is different from the rest. Shoot often while we can, bob

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I don't know what significance it has, if anything, but I've seen more Krieghoffs double than any other make of O/U. Since I probably see about 10 Brownings and 5 Berettas for every Krieghoff, maybe that does tell us something.

Easystreet

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I know one thing will make a Perazzi trigger "double" for sure is, when you forgot to put on safety before you change firing order on a selectable trigger.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Better not advertise the event, since the FBATFD will be looking to arrest someone for possesion of a machine gun.

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Well, I have a ruger gold lable with a couple of thousand round through it and its never doubled. Likewise an onle OU Baretta. Funny, my M12 has never doubled either.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

although it has never happend to me, a friend of mine who use to own a local gun club, took his son hunting one day. gave him a 10 ga over and under. it doubled, and the lever to open the gun hit his nose and tore off a small piece of his nose.
    steve balistreri

10. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I received a ration of crap the last time I mentioned anything about a Perazzi having problems, but a friend of mine had a Perazzi that would double from time to time. He sent it to a gunsmith and the gunsmith told my friend that it was caused by using the wrong load in the gun. Apparently it has something to do with the tension setting of the springs in the trigger? He couldn't get the gun to double when shooting 7/8 ounce loads, but 1 ounce loads would double consistently. Don't ask me why, I'm just passing on what I was told.

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

John,

A buddy of mine bought a new 682 gold e and got rid of it after a year because 3 trips to the gun smith could not stop it from doubling. My DT 10 did it to me once, and never again. I think I may not have had firm enough hold on the PFS when it went off the first time & I pulled the trigger again, but it felt like they both went off at once. With the PFS it didn't hurt me, but it was loud as heck.

JON

12. BigM-Perazzi

I'm thankful that Perazzi's, Beretta's and K-guns are more akin to Formula 1 race cars than farmers implements.....

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

omgb...the reason that mod12s don't double is because you can't shuck it fast enough!

14. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Adding insult to injury....I have a Savage Fox MB SxS and that has never doubled and a Stevens 5100 16 GA SxS and that has never doubled. I guess inexpensive American guns don't double....I feel disappointed. Now, I do have a Colt 1911 that if you hold it just right will double and even quadruple with very little provocation. And, if you hold my Garand just right very loosely at the hip, it will fire all eight.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey omgb....I have one of those Fox Bs....want to impress your friends?

Hold it sideways ( so it is like an O/U ) .... it will shoot about 200% high. Always good for a few yuks.

16. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

John: Maybe it was their call: PULLPULL caused their fingers to flinch. Never had the trouble with my MachOne... just can't load fast enough.

Hey, when do you want the #8 shot??? Fred

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I had a 101 Skeet gun that would double with three dram loads most every time. Shot 2 3/4's without skipping a beat. Back to the factory twice but never did get it corrected. Finally used it for trading stock.

Big Jack

18. BigM-Perazzi

You know, after thinking about it. I have an Ithaca Nitro express 16 ga. It's never doubled in the 52 times I've fired it..... They just don't build them like they used to I guess....

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I bought a Weatherby Orion from a small dealer for a pretty good price. The gun was used, but mostly as a demonstrator. It soon began doubling. I sent it to California to the factory repair and when I got it back, it would not set the second barrel. Back to the factory it went. When I got it back several weeks later it went right back to doubling the first shot. I called them back and they suggested I send it back in and they would give me a new one. I had no problems with the second one.

20. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I had a Browning sxs new, shot about 10 boxes trap loads no problems . I thought it done a good job on trap, I will take it turkey hunting I got a surprize 2 2 3/4 magnum no 2 shot at the same time. got the turkey but got rid of gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.