1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUNS BLOWING UP & PW RELOADERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mkstephen, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I have been using PW reloaders for 30 years. I also have a Caesar Guerini Magnus Combo Trap gun with approximately 20,000 rounds through it. I have been watching the threads on the CG blowing up. All were using reloads and most were supposedly reloaded off of PW reloaders. While it is possible to double charge a shell on a PW most diligent reloaders would be able to discern this when the shot ran out all over the bench.

I have pondered this issue in the back of my mind for quite some time. Here's my main thought;

The PW Company makes a nice brush attachment for station number one that will scrub each reloading chamber when it passes this station, provided that you have the brush installed and not the swab. After a period of time this brush starts looking anemic as bristles have been lost due to usage. Where do these bristles go? Well some come out on the charging station and have to be removed. Some end up in the primer shuttle.

But a large majority of them would have to end up in the shell casing (my guess). The shell next goes to the primer station where the primer is pushed out and a new primer is installed.

What if after enough bristles were gone a clump of bristles could no longer be supported and fell into the shell? What would brass or copper wire filaments add to the ignition process when they are setting on top of the primer?

This may all sound trivial and may be just that. However this issue became heavy on my mind. I removed my brush and holder from my machine and no longer use it. I now periodically clean my reloading tubes with a chamber brush after removing each from the machine.

Just some thoughts.

Michael Stephenson

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Mike I went to a swab on all of mine for that very same reason. I never had any problems from the bristles that I am aware of but it was easier and cheaper to use the swabs with a few drops of gun oil every 1000 or so shells. When they get black I just replace them. They will shed as well by the way.

--- Chip King ---

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I will assure you that not every blown up CG or K 80 for that matter has been reloaded with a P/W loader. Don't read much into every thing you read on the net. Some of the people who reload should not be doing it because there common sense is hard to come by. No matter what kind of loader they are using, if they get a double charge they should know what to look for and what caused it. If they cant determine what caused it then they should not be reloading "period".

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

AMEN goose2. There was a fellow who shot at our club on a regular basis that was one of those. He had at least one Doctorate and not a single ounce of common sense. I cannot remember him ever completing a round with out some form of reload problem and he used a loader that many consider idiot proof. As a buddy of mine once said "you can't fix STUPID"

PW's are great loaders and I used them for several years before moving up to a Spolar but like any other mechanical device they are only as smart as the operator and NO loader is truely IDIOT proof.

--- Chip King ---

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

How many people accidently shoot themselves???? Can't fix stupid..

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I too have been reloading with a PW for over 30 years. I also removed the bore brush because it seemed to be slightly out of line and the machine works just fine without the bore brush. I always watch the primer feed on every single shell and use a little graphite from a spray can whenever the primer feed starts sticking. Ignorance can be fixed but Stupid is Forever.

7. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

A P-W is a perfectly safe machine until some doofus gets attached to the handle and tries to load 3000 rounds between the time he/she gets home from work and the time prime-time feetsball comes on.

Keep the machine properly adjusted and clean, pay attention to each load and you have no worries.

Get distracted and sloppy, stick a few wads in upside down and things go really wrong.

You're assembling explosives fer cryin out loud! Stay alert and pay attention and stop looking to blame a machine for stupid human tricks! When the machines rise up against us and reloaders conspire to destroy their users, you'll know!!

Lister

8. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

YODA100...............I tell yaaaa BOY; I think you have it solved. I just removed the ball of COTTON and hung it at my PW.........RUN'EM

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

A fellow shooter was telling me about blow-up at his club some years ago. There was a lawsuit. It was determined there were a number of blow-ups and lawsuits around then. Three things were common in all....1100s....Federal paper hulls....PW reloaders. An issue was the way the PW seated the primer. I've never loaded on a PW so I don't know what that means. Dunno the results of the lawsuit.

10. fishguts

fishguts Member

I agree with Carol Lister. Everyone tells me how fast they can reload on the hydraulics,etc. It'a all about speed, it seems. I use a 9000G so I can watch the loads.

Wayne

11. dzeh

dzeh Member

Any reports of a gun blowing up with a factory load? I haven't seen any mention of such happening in all the threads I've read so far.

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a PW 900 very similar to the 800. There is a wad insertion station in between the shot drop station and the powder drop station. My reasoning is that if the tool fails to index for some reason you have to discard all the shells in the loader.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

dzeh wrote - "Any reports of a gun blowing up with a factory load? I haven't seen any mention of such happening in all the threads I've read so far."

dzeh - Check link above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.