1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guns as an Investment

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by warren, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warren

warren Member

I've been trying to come up with an investment as a hedge against the awfull enconomic and political turmoil we are in and It's my opinion that gold and precious metals are way overpriced because of the lack of anything else to hedge with. Guns while not making any dramatic moves such as gold seems to me to keep up with inflation and bad times in general. I wonder if anyone else thinks the same and if so just what type of guns and ammunition would be the best?????

warren

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

For $1500 I've got a Wichester Model 37 that's bound to EXPLODE in value!

-Gary

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Don't forget the ammo...

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Guns are not usually a great investment as far as making money goes. Worth their weight in gold when someone else owns them and not worth scrap metal when you own them and are of a mind to sell them. Now if you are looking to hold onto them till our next civil war, now they will be invaluamle again. Gas, guns bullets, water, and food will be wo the most. Possibly horses too. Good lck out ther. John

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Good point, HSLDS. Call it 2 grand and I'll throw in this vintage 22 ammo.

-Gary

[​IMG]

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think quality yet affordable guns are a good investment. Right now, Smith & Wesson revolvers made before internal locks and MIM parts are escalating in value. I buy them when I see one that strikes my fancy and have purchased several collections of them. Some have been duplicates of ones I already own so I've sold the extra ones a short time later and always at a small gain. I frequently see ones like I already have selling for $100 more than I paid for mine just a year ago - that isn't a bad percentage of appreciation on a $500 or $600 investment in a year.

Some Remington firearms are good investments, too. Discontinued models that were perhaps too nice (read: "too expensive") and were only made for five years or so have taken off. Two I buy are Model Six pump rifles, an enhanced version of the Model 7600, and the Model XP-100R bolt-action "handrifle." The Six was only made in five calibers - .243, 6mm, .270, .308 and .30-06 - with .243 and 6mm being the rarest. I paid $450 for a nearly-new .243 two years ago and have seen two bring $600 since then. And a 6mm - VERY few were made and a nice one might fetch a grand. I know where there is one that has never been out of its box and is for sale for $1,200.

You might be wondering why I haven't snatched that one up. I haven't bought it because for me, that's too much money for a gun I will never shoot. And I wouldn't shoot it because doing so would devalue it tremendously. But I do have that same amount of money in TWO unfired Smith & Wesson revolvers that are low-production items (5,000 or fewer made more than 10 years ago). That, I can justify to myself; $1,200 in ONE gun, not so much. Others with deeper pockets will have differing opinions.

The XP-100R was only made in 1998, the last year of the XP's production run. Nice ones, especially in varmint calibers, can bring $1,000 today. I bought a like-new .223 with a quality scope and low Harris bipod for $800 three years ago.

None of those prices are out of the reach of the average collector, unlike the $5,000 and up trap combos we see plenty of offered for sale on this site that rarely sell despite frequent price reductions. It's not that those guns aren't of high quality or that they don't appreciate; it's because they are a serious expenditure for the average working guy who wants to build a collection. For that reason, they appreciate much more slowly than less costly yet equally high-quality guns.

Ed

7. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Well, there are many examples of good investments.

In the 80's you could buy a nice 3200 for $500 or so. Now a good one runs $1500 up.

Has the stock market risen 300%?

The trick is to find quality, durability, and desirability - but careful searching could yield some nice ones.

For example, There was a time hat Model 12's were at a premium. We didn't buy any as investments though, because although a good gun, they had the mechanics and performance of yesterday's gun.

On the other hand, right now many good deals on K-80s because of the recession. The gun has quality, people like it, and it has many features "new" guns have copied. Thus, a good investment, in my humble view.

8. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

With the current and (probably) future political climate, anything black and high-capacity should be a good investment.

Glocks, AR-15s, factory magazines for both, and ammunition for both.

9. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Buying ANYTHING as an investment requires that you will know WHEN, how, and where to sell it...as well as for HOW MUCH.
    I've NEVER sold a gun that at some later point I didn't find myself wishing I'd KEPT. Made money on every one of them, but still later found myself wishing I'd KEPT every one of them.
    Your experience may be different...that has been mine.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Handguns will be valueable in the future.

I have a friend who did collect older Winchesters but they were not going up in value like others. He got rid of the Win and started to buy Parker shotguns. It was a wise decision. He sold part of his collection fo over a million. I said part of what he has.

Some guns will be a great investment and others will not.

11. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Guns as an investment? Consider anything full auto. Since Congress froze the number of guns that can be legally transferred to individuals, the price of them does not go down, only up. You can buy say a Thompson sub gun, play with it and sell it for more than you paid for it. Check prices on subgun.com
    Mike Battista

12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Guns are a great investment, the best there is. At least that's what I always tell my wife. I proved it to her by showing her some of NW's graphs, the ones that go up from the bottom left to the top right.

Now all I have to do is convince her that airplanes, boats and pickup trucks are good investments too.

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I recently saw a nice Thompson for sale, only $25,000.

The best investment in America for years was old Winchester lever action rifles. Not sure how that stands currently.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They can be great investments. The key is knowing what you're looking at.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Guns can be great investments. Actually better than Gold. Buy them cheap and sell them high across the Southern border. Don't believe me? Just ask the Government. They did it......

16. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I bought a 1928A1 Auto-Ordnance Thompson sub machine gun in 2005. Late WW11 production that never seen service and ended up as a safe queen at a sheriffs department in Iowa. Being a mint condition weapon I paid dearly for it. During the first few years of ownership The value increased an additional $3000.00 or more. when the economy started to go down so did the value of many guns including full autos. But the really good stuff such as guns that grade in mint condition and scarce to rare held there value quite well. I would value my Thomson at about $25000.00. And yes I will make money when it comes time to sell. And yes it is fun to shoot.

I also have many vintage 22 rifles smooth bores and gallery rifles as well as Winchester model 61s some unfired in the box. All these guns are doing well and are highly desirable. In my opinion only invest in guns that are highly desirable.

I also collect vintage 22 ammo and related items. This market is just plain exploding. One of the very best collecting investments I am involved in.

I would suggest to a new collector to invest in good quality Winchester 22 rifles such as model 1890,all gallery models any guns that are unfired in the box smooth bores mint model 61s and 62s. I don't think you can go wrong. Remingtons are doing well also. But study up before you invest and know what your doing.

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The key as with any investment is the price you pay for it. You have to find the sellers that are more interested in selling, than you are buying the gun. Emotions have to be in check when buying. "Want" to buy sometimes costs as much as "needs" to sell. Jon

18. rustygun

rustygun Member

I wonder about the value of the old Winchester and Remington stuff, I own some, but it seems most collectors of them are about my age or older. If the younger generation isn't that interested in them, is the value going to remain high,
    who are we going to sell them to? It seems that the younger guys are more interested in handguns, and tactical stuff.
    Whiz Bang is right about the full auto stuff. I think a lot would depend on how fast you would want to cash out of your investment.

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Anything class III is a good investment.

20. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Here in Minnesota we can only have C&R rated guns. I also have a AR 18 Full auto machine gun. This gun is in 99% condition and commanded a premium price. AR18 haven't gained much. They can be bought know very reasonable and they will go up. And what a treat to fire.

The one big bonus in owning full autos is when you get the urge to air them out from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.