1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guns and Murder Statistics - Useful talking points

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Interesting and useful statistics to cite.

2. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Clearly the UN is barking up the wrong tree.

3. Avatar

A good article with some useful statistics. Aside from the falling murder rate, there is another dirty little secret. Leaving aside the gun murder rates, most of the "gun deaths" in the impressive figures generally cited by the proponents of gun control are actually suicide deaths. Now, you could make the argument that, well, isn't that also a reason to take away guns? Sure, some impulse suicides might be prevented. But, the even higher suicide rates for Japan and certain other countries where private ownership of guns is rare shows that where guns are not available, people will still commit suicide.,

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    As far as suicide goes, a firearm is often used because it generally is faster and more of a sure thing than using poison, a rope, pills, etc. Men overwhelming use guns. Women tend to use things that don't mess up their looks.

But, a lot of these firearms deaths are also done by terminally ill people, who cannot find a better way to check out.

Case in point. A relative of mine with terminal cancer wanted to get enough morphine squirreled to check out. Except that this is under such strict control that this was not possible. And while the state allowed prescription of drugs for committing suicide, they put such strict and unreasonable controls on it that for all practical purposes you can only use this method in your last 48 hours. Big whoop.

So this forces the terminal person to seek other methods. Like eating a bullet. And that is exactly what my relative did. Because there was no other choice to escape the intense pain and other issues.

So now you have one more "gun death" statistic.

I'm not sure where I really stand on assisting suicide, but, I cannot say that it is my place to deny the decision to others. And it would help reduce "gun death" statistics.