1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gunfitting problem?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mcharles, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcharles

mcharles TS Member

I'm trying to figure out whether my gun fits me or if I have a problem. When I align my eye along the rib and stack the beads in a figure 8, I'm not pressing my cheekbone down on the comb at all. If I press my check down onto the comb, my eye sinks below the rear rib and I can no longer see the front bead. How hard does one press his cheek bone onto the comb? Any insight the veteran shooters here can offer, as well as any remedies, would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Martin

2. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

You may get different opinions but I am a proponent of fairly tight cheek pressure. If you are using minimal to no pressure you will not be on the gun consistently, i.e. you will change your point of impact. I also feel that minimal pressure will make allow your face to come away form the gun easier. I am not an expert but I had 12 years of problems on swing the gun to my left on Post 1 and 2. When I kept a much tighter face on the stock it seems to have solved the problem.

Charlie

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

There is not a single answer that is correct for everyone. Some use a lot of cheek pressure, others just use a little. I push my head down very lightly on the comb and then lift the gun up to my cheek with as much pressure as I can with my right hand. I try to lift the gun up rather than push my head down.

You must have some cheek pressure ( I know of one exception to this) on the comb.

Martin, I do suspect that you need a higher comb. This is easily tested by applying something (mole skin, cut up bath towels, paper, vinyl scraps from an automobile upholstery shot) to your comb. Something to raise the comb and some tape to hold it in place is worth trying. After you find out if this helps, then there are ways to attractively permanently fix the problem. But first, figure out if this is the problem.

Pat Ireland

4. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

A good way to test if a gun fits is to mount the gun with your eyes closed. Once the gun is mounted, open your eyes and if the beads/rib do not line up, the gun does not fit. The key to shooting is to have the gun come up the same way each time. If you have to make adjustments each time you mount the gun, this will lead to a miss. I suspect that you need to raise the comb, by your description. I know that if I don't feel the pressure against the comb, I lift my head.

Gene

5. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

IS this when adjusting your comb left to right comes into play? For fitting and line up the beads, or is the right to left adjustment to move your pattern left or right? Also do you move the comb in the direction you want the pattern to move?

6. mcharles

mcharles TS Member

Thanks for the insights into this situation. I will try building up the comb and see if that helps. I shot a friends Citori with an adjustable comb that was set higher than mine, and it seemed to help so I'm hoping I can recreate a similar comb height with mole skin or other material. Your help is appreciated!

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Is bead alignment really needed? Carefull with adding thicker material on top of comb, as it will efect cast also. The thicker cheek eez pads 1/8" or so when placed or floped over, will chanfe the cast a bit.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

martin, With out patterning your gun and watching you shoot targets. There is no answernto your question.

Joe Goldberg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gunfitting