1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUNFITTER

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by il shooter, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. il shooter

il shooter Member

GOING TO GRAND AND NEED A GOOD OR BEST GUNFITTER .WHO IS THERE THIS YEAR ? THANKS

2. il shooter

il shooter Member

3. THALL

THALL Member

I second Todd Nelson, fine man from a fine family. Tim Hall

4. JOND

JOND TS Member

Try Keith Heeg. JOND

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Not going so I have no stake.

Are you looking for work on an existing stock or for a new stock?

For my money if your at the grand and want alterations done to your stock see Todd Nelson.

Having said that The Grand is no place to have a Gun Fitting. Alterations yes.

You should make arrangements to do this in the spring or after the target season.

If your looking for someone to build a custom stock I cannot recommend anyone else but Dennis Devault.

Besides my self and Dennis no one else fits and builds the stock. When there is a fitter and a different Stockmaker you will have problems this is the problem with the big names they have only one person doing the fitting and someone else who knows little or nothing about gunfit building the stock and in many instances with no direct contact with the Fitter.

I hope this helps.

Joe Goldberg

6. 1WoodNut

1WoodNut TS Member

Will agree Todd would be a good one to see. Can speak from experience with the Nelson's. Have heard good things about Kieth as well.

Hate to disagree but there are other individuals out there that can and/or do the fitting and build the stock.

Wood Nut

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hey Joe,

You ever heard of Phil Simms by chance?

ec90t

8. porthos

porthos Member

did any of you ever stop to consider that you might be your own best gunfitter. instead of paying someone $$$ for their services, watch your breaks and learn frof them . look where your gun is mounted in your shoulder, chances are that it is high above the shoulder. would an adj. buttplate give you full surface contact? do you get your best breaks when you accidently shot overa target?put a couple layers of moleskin on the comb to make the gun shoot higher. close your eyes and mount the gun, then open them(or it) is one bead directly behind the other or does the rear bead set off to the side? do this several times if there is not horizontal allignment you probably should move the comb over . if you don't have an adj. comb get one. if you go to 5 different gun fitters you will probably get 4 different answers. none of them necessarly wrong, but different ways to fit a gun to you . take some responsibility and WATCH YOUR BREAKS!!!

9. il shooter

il shooter Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.