1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GunDR and other input please.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

In the process of pieceing together a 870 for a club gun for kids. What we need is info on what would be a good length of pull or average to have the stock cut down to. I plan on installing the brass inserts in the stock for repeat recoil pad removal. Then have a few different thicness pads on hand? I did this with my guns for winter/summer pads. I was thinking of cutting the stock down to 12.5 inches trigger to end of stock. Then have the thicker pads. Will try to get adjustable comb installed also. Have a 870 MC stock right now. nothing fancy.

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

My "loaner" 870 has a Speedfeed Monte Carlo composite stock with a 1" thick Pachmayr Trap pad, giving 13.75" LOP. All the kids and ladies seem to shoot it fine, and will ask to borrow it for their turn at WOT and Boy Scout events. Had to stay around all day at one event to wait for my gun! HTH - AndyH

3. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

13.50 would be a good kids and ladies length. Dan

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What about an adjustable LOP butt plate??

Joe

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This is a low budget project gun. so far everything has been what we have on hand. 870, couple of stocks 2 barrels and a hand full of recoild pads. If I where to come across a great deal on adjustable LOP I would install it.

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Remington 870's aren't exactly high priced guns to start with, particularly if you pick up a used one or an Express model. If you get a used Express model, the seller will generally pay you $20 or so to take it off his hands (just kidding).

Anyway, my suggestion is why bother with constantly changing recoil pads in an attempt to make a bad fit a little less bad. Why not just buy 2 of them and set them up with different lengths? Then the kid (or lady) could choose whichever one is closer to being a good fit for them.

Changing recoil pads every time one kid passed the gun to another who happened to be a bit taller or shorter would get old in a hurry.

Easystreet

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

we generally do not got many kids at once. The ones that come often have their own guns. After installing the inserts on the stock and access holes through the pad. A cordless screw driver gets them on and off in a hurry. Get old yes it would. We are not trying to buy anything. The point of the whole project.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

yeah baby!!!! Well this may end up in the project also. We are trying to get more youth interested in trap, parents also. We tried last year for a reloading program, there has been a surge in intere1st this year. I have been loading some very light loads to conserve on supply. I have let many younger kids feel the difference. Been loading some 7/8oz

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Keep those loads extra light. 870's are kickin' mules for kids and first time moms.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

GunDr, I will be useing the same loads I introduced my wife to trap with. After the supply of Win feather light and low noise low recoil shells ran dry. I began loading myself.

11. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

About using one of the new Knoxx recoiling reducing tactical stocks? Four inches of adjustment and reduced recoil too.

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.