1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gunclub's not so good deal.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by b12, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Gunclub

Friend of mine bought 2 flats of gunclubs on sale at one of the big box store. Bass pro. We went to the trap range today for a little practice. He went thru to station 4 with probably 12 out of 20 misses. Now he is a pretty good shooter. When he got to station 5 he went to the car and got 5 of his reloads and smoked balled the next 5. 3 were hard rights. We started on the 20yd. Next round went to the 23yrd with his reloads. Missed 2. Last round was at the 25yd.missed 2.
    When we go back home we took apart one of the gunclubs to see the innards. The shot was polished nice but was flat on two sides. I grabbed some small pliers and put one shot between the jaws. I squeezed with two fingers. Index and thumb. I couldn't believe how soft the shot was.With very little effort I smashed the shot into the grooves so flat it looked like part of the pliers.
    So my buddy tried it and startd squeezing very slow and easy. Same thing no effort. We did the samething with new bag shot and our homemade shot. It took very much more pressure to dent the shot compared to completly flatening the Remington gunclubs. Boy what a deal he got at bass pro and remington. Bill

2. fly

fly Active Member

you get what you pay for with program shells.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

They've shot well even to 27. Great shells for 16's.

I used to have problems with them until I replaced the chipped firing pin.

Very seldom you'll have real problems with factory shells. I imagine there's quite a line to take them off your hands. If not I'd like to know where to go to take them off your hands. I'll even give you what you've got in them...

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Things must have really changed, because I've had good scores with them in fact about 3 or 4 years ago (just before my wife had cancer)I had a 97 (16yd) with GCs that I bought because I didn't have time to re-load, actually bought 5 flats that day because they had them on sale for $35.00 a flat, still have 2 unopened flats that I use when I want factory loads or don't have time to reload. Do still see a lot of GCs at our registered shoots where I'm a scorekeeper. Wonder what--when--why they changed? Ross Puls

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Another lame excuse.

Gun Clubs are quality shells. The ones I have cut apart had good looking shot.

I have done the pliers squeezing before, completely unreliable.

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don't quite buy that. A lot of GCs were shot at the Grand with good results! I have had some pretty good scores with GCs and you can just about shoot anything from the 16 yd line and get good scores (IF the gun is pointed right)! I've shot 25s with reclaimed and soft number 9s before. Sounds like your friend was having a bad day and needed a reason for it.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you have to blame it on something make it the shells because after you fire it the proof is gone ... I doubt very much it was the shells being as I have shot good score from the 27 yardline with Gun Clubs ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

Not to change the subject... But

You guys REALLY get good results with 1145 fps at the 27 yard line ? WOW

you must have to lead the corner by 3-4 feet ?

Just sayin............

9. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Last Sunday shooter shoot 98 out of 100 with the Bass Pro Gun Clubs.
    Your speculation about their quality does not hold true for him!

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

The results at The Grand shell house had nothing to do with quality. There was virtually a sell out of Federals with Winchester coming in well behind in second. Remington's new management made a decision on rebates which obviously did not sit well with shooters. I have shot some Rem. Gun Clubs over the years and as an aging AA sgl.s shooter can say, "it's the Indian, not the arrow" when I miss any target.

Masterplan, 20+ yr.s on the 27 shooting 2 3/4 dr. 7 1/2 s, 2 GAH trophies and over 20 honary puches.

Slide action, What GAH did you see "lots of GC shot"? This year you had to hunt to see anything "green"

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Masterplan, it's not uncommon, just disbelieved.

Many 100 straights from 27 with 2 3/4 drams by bigdog shooters.

The 4" (that's inches) lead difference doesn't bother them.

12. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

The GCs are fine shells. I really like the shells, and there hulls are great for reloading. I see them as a win win. I have decided to shoot all factory loads during competition this year and shoot only reloads for practice.

13. willing

willing Member

Master
    If you look you will find GCs come in 1145 OR 1200.

Bill

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I have shot several 100's with GC shells. they will smoke a well centered target.

I think your friend had a bad day.

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have shot good scores from the 16 with Gun Clubs but I believe they have softer shot than Federals or Winchesters. On one recent nice day of shooting I shot the 1st 50 with Gun Clubs and the 2nd 50 with Federal Top Guns and got noticeably more smoke with the latter.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Masterplan, Ray Stafford shot some excellent 27 yd. scores with Federal X-Lites at 1,100 FPS!!

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

masterplan, while not an all star, I have shot light 7.5s from the fence for a few decades.

Kiner and Leo can both attest to such for valadation.

18. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

The lead may be softer than other shells...but it is still harder than clay! I bought 13 flats of the BPS Gun Clubs and last week I broke a fifty straight from 16 with them. Far above my average!!! Jack

19. JRISERV

JRISERV TS Member

My son shot 797/800 from the 16 at the Heartland Grand a week ago. When I shot a round at the club this week, I didn't do as well - somehow I doubt it was the shells. They were a great deal and would gladly take any you don't want off your hands at cost.

20. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

have shot thousands of them with 25 to 30 hundred straights a couple 200 straights shot them at the grand this year with a 100 straight and a 199 i also reload them for handicap never had any problems i just wish you could still get them for 2.99 a box. Terry Obrien

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.