1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GunClub Hulls = STS?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hawk57, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I've been reloading AA's and ran out. I've got a ton of GunClub hulls but I'm not sure of the recipe. Are the GunClubs the same as STS hulls? If they are I think the recipe would be 1 1/8 of #8, GunClub Hulls, Claybuster fig 8's, WIN209, 18 Grains of RedDot. Sound right? Anyone know if I can drop 1oz in the claybuster fig 8 wad?

Hawk,

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

The main problem with Gun Clubs is the steel in the shell head...difficult to load in some loaders and stresses your resizing mechanism. I loaded some with MEC Grabber (couple of thousand) before giving up on them. STS and AA have brass shell heads, are readily available and load better (easier). IMO Gun Club reloading isn't worth it, but some other shooters think they are OK. Best Regards, Ed

3. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I have Gun Club empties for sale. One penny a piece plus shipping. Contact me if interested. Matt

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Hawk, If you have a ton of Gun Clubs,(once-fired).Load once, shoot, and throw.

I load mostly STS,but have loaded many of the GC on my Hornady 366 with no problems.Notice I said I load them once. After the second loading, they seem to run through the loader a little harder and will occassionaly stick in both the Ljutic and Mod. 12.

I load both with either 1-1/8 of #8, Rem. fig. 8, Rem. primer and 18 gr. of RD. or loz. of 8's with Rem. TGT and 17 gr of RD. Don't think you want to load 1oz. with the wad you use. Hope this is of some help. Steve

5. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Thanks for the advise. I don't resize and have had no issues with shells not ejecting out of my Browning. I'll change the wad and powder drop when I switch to 1oz.

Hawk,

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

hawk57:

If you don't resize when loading, you might want to reconsider using the Gun Clubs. The steel head does not spring back to size like brass heads do. Resizing is a MUST with steel head hulls like the Gun Clubs. Otherwise, just use reliable STS data and you are good to go. I get three or more loadings from them, before I toss them. My 1oz load is 18.0 to 18.5 grains of Red Dot, Winchester W209 Primer, Claybuster CB1100-12 pink wad, 1 oz of whatever shot I have on hand. Absolutely smokes targets. I doubt that the Figure 8 wad would work out well for a 1oz load as you described.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.