1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gunbroker deal gone sour

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigbore613, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Make sure to reply to his feedback and notify Gunbroker. Jeff

2. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Philly: you were lucky and did the right thing. We would be interested in his name and sign on.Don

3. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'd post his name, address and picture here. His requirements have an odor! Smells like a ripoff to me.

Dave

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

When he refused to take it to his loacal dealer so you could pay cash?? I say he was up to something - you did ok by me and you were probably very lucky. I wont let people come to my house either but your offer to take $$$ to his dealer was straight up

5. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Sportshot, how do you know the gun was registered? Most states don't require any type of registration.

6. daddiooo

Sportshot,

When you're dealing with someone local I'd certainly view his odd requirements for the transaction as suspicious. If you won't meet me at a gunshop to transact a deal with an FFL present on a gun you're trying to sell I'd be real suspicious and tell you to keep it.....

Would you mail him a check and wait a week to hear from him to get your merchandise? If so, you're gonna lose some money.

Good luck on your gun deals.

7. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

If he was so scared of a face to face deal then he should and you should bring a friend each to a public area. I'm like you, a big red flag is up and waving. He either miss discribed the gun or is scared of his own shadow. I have met people in public areas and sold a gun now and then and yes I had a friend and some weight on the hip that he the buyer did not know about. In my state you are permitted to sell your property (gun) to another person without having it registered. I live in Va. You did the right thing by walking away. Personaly I would rather have cash then a check.

8. art g

art g Member

In my opinion, the best thing to do on most gun auctions is to have some communication with the seller prior to bidding. Oftentimes, you can tell a great deal about the seller by the timeliness and tone of their response. In your case, you could have asked him about doing a face to face deal and agree on the logistics prior to bidding and hopefully have avoided the problems you ultimately had to deal with. Sounds like your seller is not someone that you would want to do business with anyway and at least you didn’t get ripped off. Better to have a negative posted on you (be sure to post a polite but to the point rebuttal) than to lose your money. Also, a negative on your Gunbroker is not in and of itself cause to over worry. What most buyers or sellers look for in feedback is a pattern of business behavior that would be a legitimate cause for concern. At the same time, I understand your being mad about it as I would be as well. Also, Gunbroker may (I can’t remember for sure) require a seller to post negative in order for them to claim a refund on the selling fee that is applied to the seller’s account immediately upon close of the auction. This fee is in addition to the listing fee and is based on the selling price. Lastly, always agree in writing about inspection privilege and the parameters thereof before bidding on or buying any gun sight unseen. Art G.

9. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

PhillyD, good move. If it smells fishy, walk. You did the right thing.

I've had my FFL since 1989. I've seen a few deals in that time. This deal stunk. NO cash, NO face to face, NO three day inspection, NO refund. Pay some "gun shop" $40.00? FOR WHAT? They were not going to have to do anything.

"The purchase was "AS IS" and no inspection, no refund." THIS should have sent up the red flag from the very beginning.

If you have the name of the "gun shop", call them and ask if they know this guy. I can even understand this seller not wanting you to see where he lived and his house. Maybe he has a few hundred firearms and doesn't want to advertise there location. But the refusal to meet you at the shop doesn't make any sense.

Tom(AJ100)

[​IMG]

10. skip

skip Member

Doesn’t pass the “Stink Test”

You did the right thing,

11. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

"I wasn't prepared for a local buyer."

I'll BET! LOL

Put his name up here so some of these guys can have a crack at that gun he is selling. I'll bet they would all be glad to send this guy a check and then wait for the gun to show up at some store. LMFAO

Tom(AJ100)

[​IMG]

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm with Tom on this one.

Can't steal from a guy when he is standing right there.

I would contact Gunbroker with a warning about possible fraud.

Incidentally, what's the guy's feedback on GB? that will be the frosting on the cake.

HM

13. daddiooo

Magnumshot,

There has to be some flexibility on the part of both seller and buyer. If this guy won't meet you at a gun shop to transact this with an FFl present...move on.

As far as paying him for his time....FOR WHAT? Gettin' jerked around by a questionable seller on a gun you can't see or get info on?

Fax him a picture of a dollar. The one with Obama on it.

14. sbhced

sbhced Member

Have to agree with Mag here. Shipping terms are clear. Easy to find out what type of gun when you put your GB id up and you only have one feedback.
    Ed

15. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

PhillyD, fortunately you aren't out any money and can still find another gun. On the other hand, I beieve magnumshot is correct in his assesment and interpretation of the gb.com rules; the face to face should have been arranged in advance of the close of the auction.

Post what you're looking for here. You might even get a better deal.

Best of luck.

16. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We know it's a handgun because one can simply look at the auction and see the little Colt with all the nice pictures.

You were on your first deal on GB and he was a newbie, too.

The terms were on the auction and you tried to change them after the deal. Right or wrong, you were the one who tried to change things.

Bob

17. turmite

turmite Member

No where in that ad, does it say, no ftf,local buyers required to pay ffl fee. Period.

The blame is on the seller here for not having "all" the info in the ad. Period!

Mike

18. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

He said it all in the auction-"must be shipped to FFL" and also said you, the buyer had to pay Fed-X'S exact shipping charge. He excluded anything else by this-MUST BE SHIPPED....

He said a bank money order was his preferred payment, but you could, I suppose, send cast to him. No where does he agree to meet you or not ship, local or not.

Your problem is that he stuck to what his auction required and you didn't like it so you welched. Simple, isn't it.

Read it next time and don't be unpleasantly surprised.

NOTE: I am not implying you were unreasonable or that he was reasonable in this mess-just that the auction told you what had to happen to complete the sale and YOU decided you wanted to do it differently.

He didn't.

Bob

19. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

When a seller does not reply to emails that a flag. If the seller does not want cash thats a flag. Besides there is a three day look over rule when buying a gun through the mail. The sell was not willing to honor that rule. The seller is a bum.

20. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

It has always been a 3 day viewing when buying a gun through the mail. It is even here on TS.com. That is the way I understand it and its the way I do business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.