1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gunaholic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 90Tshooter, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I have what I believe is an incurable condition, I'm a gunaholic. I went for a motorcycle ride yesterday and ended up at my local Gander Mountain. I know what you guys are thinking, don't go there, they're too expensive! Not to worry, I had coupons that I wanted to use up. I was walking through the firearm section and ran across an 870 express 7-shot with an 18" barrel and bead front sight. I have no real use for it but it was cheap enough and has a cool factor and I just decided it had to go home with me. It didn't really sink in until I was strapping it to the motorcycle in the parking lot that I really didn't need to buy it right then and there. That's what I believe is one of the symptoms of the condition, uncontrolled buying. Nobody said anything to me in the parking lot though, I guess nobody wants to converse with a 6'2" leather clad man strapping a gun to his motorcycle.

How many others here have this condition. Or should the question be are there any others on this website that don't have this condition.

Joe

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I didn't realize I had the condition until I noticed I had two gun safes and a gun case full. I don't know if there is a cure or not. I just figured that my kids would have to deal with it one day. LOL Jackie B.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It's an incurable disease, if I had the room, I would own one of every gun made

4. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I tried the 12 step program to quit buying every gun that struck my fancy, dropped out after step 5 where you have to give your guns to a friend to hold for awhile. Nobody can rub them like me, their owner. Sooooo, I have been wanting a Henry Big Bore for sometime in .357 Magnum. Last week I called everywhere, finally found one in PA, the only one any where. Hold it for me PLEASE!!! I was off, 2 hour drive one way. I own it, it's really pretty, brass and blue and nice walnut. But while I was there I keenly noted a nice little Henry in .22 L.R. Well since I'm filling out the forms for 1 gun, why not buy 2. I own that one also. I don't believe there is a cure, but I don't think I really want to be cured. I got over the buying every handgun symptoms. But I did see a nice little Sig .380 that I don't have. It'l probably double in value in the next 10 years, I should get that one as an investment. I really should. Tell me I should. F/S

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A couple of decades ago, I was working near St. George UT and one of the big grocery stores in that town also sold firearms and ammo. Needless to say I had many impulse buys there .... I still remember going through the food check out line with a opaque platic bag containing a vintage single six (no box) that I picked up at the gun counter, lots of people around and no one really even looked twice.

Seems like my gun buying craze peaked when I was about 40 and by then I had aquired most of the items I use to dream about. These days I might buy one or two firearms each year but mainly the mad money goes towards ammo and targets. My latest binge involved a like new M14-4 S&W and a very nice M15-1 S&W at the Reno Cabela's gun room. (I was there on an ammo buying mission) These jewels were just screaming to be taken home because afterall a guy can't have too many .38 specials right?

My guess is that at least 80% of us on this forum are gunaholics.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

FalconSprint, I think you should buy it, you owe it to yourself, you've been a good boy

The easiest way to justify them is look at your wife's side of the closet, and that I will NEVER understand

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I used to have an open account at my gun dealer. Was adding one or two guns a month to the collection.

Then came kids....

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I don't believe there is a cure. However, there is a way to slow it down. Once you own that "perfect" gun, the new ones come more rarely.

Unfortunately, those perfect guns come with a large price tag. I guess it's a case of buy once, cry once.

9. plux001

plux001 Member

Better to be hooked on drugs...at least treatment is offered.

Paul

10. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Your sons will spend your money when you're gone. Hopefully they will keep the guns.

11. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I think a closet full is just about right for everybody.

12. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

I can't beleive this crap. I AM NOT A GUNAHOLIC. You guys are weak. LOL I havn't bought a gun in three hours. I told my wife I can beat this alleged problem. She agreed with me, she says if I can contain myself to 4 guns a year she will figure I am cured. But I am not a gunaholic. Tim

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Depends on the size of the closet :)

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Why worry, you don't have to feed them?
    Steve Balistreri

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

Nope,haven't read a thread yet of a gunaholic.One,most of you mention you buy the guns,that means you've purchased afore mentioned guns with funds that you readily have.Now,if anyone of you have run up your credit cards,took out private loans,or equity loans to buy a gun,yes,then I'll pronounce you a gunaholic.Now in my case,I'm just a poor boy,only own a few shotguns,one a sporting clay special,others field guns,and a BT99 I'm trying out.Deprived of the enjoyment you'all have,soooo,any donations my way would be greatly appreciated in obtaining gunaholic status.I might just vote republican in response to any donations.LMAO,,oh,that's right,I'm registered republican.

Doug H.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Gun bribes to vote for Romney? Hmmmm.

17. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

90Tshooter:

Just imagine what might have happened if you were 5'-5", wearing a bright orange searsucker suit with maroon bow-tie, and riding a Cushman Pacemaker motor scooter. Oh, my.......!

Mike

18. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

My name is Mike and I'm a gunahaulic. I've tried everything. Shock treatments, hipnosis, you name it. I go to the meeting and come out thinking I'm cured. I once went as far as making up a list of the guns I neeeded to sell. Turns out after reading the list I thought of nine more guns I "needed" and went out and bought them. And none got sold. The bright blue, color case hardening and the smell of gun oil puts a glaze across my eyes and all I can murmur is "I gotta have another gun". The smell of Hoppe's #9 and old paper Federal shells I tired to have made into aftershave, but the folks at the colone companies just laughed at me (what do they know, anyhow). One Christmas my brothers and I decided we would make lamps for our parents. Mine was made out of a surplus M-14 stock. The trigger was the on-off switch and the selector was the dimmer. My name is Mike, and I'm a gunaholic. I do have a further confesson. Since taking up shotshell reloading in the early 80's, I've been further diagnosed as a "hull whore". But that's another sad story.

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

You are looking at this condition all wrong. Set all of the issues about being a "gunaholic" aside for a minute and consider the following: it is a negative term, like you have done something wrong by buying something which has dubious VALUE...HOWEVER, your new gun is a thing, like a diamond, a painting, or any object of real VALUE. A close friend educated me to this somewhat obscure fact: guns are an investment. When you realize that your newly acquired gun has present and future VALUE like any investment vehicle does - your money is not wasted it is INVESTED and not lost. Your cash is simply transferred to another valuable form which can be turned back into cash whenever the owner decides. Think of it this way: you moved your hard-earned dollars from your 401(k) account to your 401(g) account..."g" stands for "gun" account. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Now, cast off the gunaholic misnomer and enjoy your 401(g) investments...which probably will hold their value better than Certificate of Deposits which are paying about 1% per year. Best Regards, Ed

20. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

My name is Jerry Lewis I am a gunaholic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.