1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Violence

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bill4807, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill4807

bill4807 Member

At a recent Virginia Department (State) convention in Falls Church, VA, a speaker asked the audience for total quiet. Then in the silence, he started to slowly clap his hands once every few seconds, holding the audience in total silence.

Then he spoke into the microphone, "Veterans, every time I clap my hands together, a child in America dies from gun violence." Tom Hovis, a Member of Fairfax Post 177, with a proud Virginian drawl, pierced the quiet and said,
    "Well, dumb-ass, stop clapping!!"

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

an absolute fact Mike, it was not like this when I grew up

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I agree with you Mike . When I was a boy guns were for hunting and fist fights were for fun .

ALF

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I will be sixty three in a week or so. When I was in grade school we settled things with our fists on the play ground. Fair fights, no bitng, kicking or goughing, just our fists. We all carried knives but woe onto the one who pulled one. Every one else would have jumped the evil doer and pounded the s**t out of him. We played mumbley peg also, we used the Mexican kid's knife because it was bigger than ours and it threw better! In about the seventh or maybe the eighth grade our shop teacher brought in his brand new cowboy style 22 for us to look at. Yes it was a Ruger Single Six! Yep in the school building. Try that these days! Bill

5. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

I was taught from an early age to respect, not fear, firearms. The very first time I shot trap, I was twelve. We were shooting at the Salmon Creek Sportmen's club on a Sunday morning. My father was standing behind me, showing me the ropes. I had his Remington 3200 broken open and I turned back to ask him a question. In the process, I swung the barrel to my right, pointing it at the shooter at the next station. My father popped me so hard in the back of the head that it made my ears ring. He told me to keep my firearm pointed down range at all times.

I'm 34 today and I haven't forgotten that lesson. My brother's and I were raised to settle our disagreements like men. Anyone on here who knows my father knows that at 61, he's still doing it the same way he taught us.

Shooter education/respect for firearms and gun-violence are inversely proportional to one another. Try telling that to a liberal and they just shake their heads.

Walker

6. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Back when you were involved in schoolyard fights you weren't fighting over who had control of selling drugs on a particular corner. Much of the gun violence today is related to gangs and drugs.
    Do you remember the St. Valentine's day massacre that happened beofre even most of the old guys on this site were born? It was over selling liquor during Prohibition. Today the same sort of thing is happening, except that the participants are younger and not always Italian and not just in Chicago or New York.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When I was a kid usually the worst thing we would have to be confronted with if we kicked another kids ass was his "Big Brother" and then you'd just have to kick his also to prove your point ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.