1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun vault door

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sasquach, Jun 5, 2013.

1. sasquach

sasquach Member

Any recomendations on door for built in gun vault? Does not need to be nuclear bomb proof. I am as concerned about fire as theft. New construction, will be cement block, poured full with rebar, and 4" cement roof with rebar.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Goggle them, you find more than you care to know about ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I found mine at a Salvage Yard/Used building material business. Very nice, much more than I needed but cheap. No need to buy a new one at retail prices. Give it a try.

Eric

4. jastrapmaster

jastrapmaster Member

Smiths Securty Safes in Ohio

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Here's mine. Bought it used from a safe dealer for less than the price of a good gun safe. It is a 4 hour fire rated door with a relocking device in case someone tampers with the combination. I installed it in my tornado shelter which has 10 inch concrete, reinforced walls and ceiling.

oldremfan_2009_040987.jpg

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

OldRemFan,

That is nice. I am looking to do the same thing. 10" poured walls and ceiling. Just priced a new steel 3 hour rated fire door for my vault. $1600 for door, frame, lock set, security hinges, sweep, and install. I like your deal better.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You have two PM's

8. Auctioneer

I saw a safe that had a good door on it. Just take the safe and cut the safe behind the safe door how ever thick the walls are and there you go. You have a door with a frame that can be bolted to the frame wall.

9. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

I got my vault door from Browning. They had a selection of colors and either ducks or deer theme on door. Was about $2 grand not including installation but it ain't going anywhere and one investment I have never regretted. I had my local gun shop arrange to include it with their next order and picked it up from their store which saved several hundred in shipping.

10. JLYON

JLYON Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

liberty gun safes offers a nice one

11. alf174

alf174 Member

If you are considering a security system for that safe room, lay some 3/4" pvc conduit in the poured wall every X" inches up so you can pull wire through for sensing a breech.

12. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Here's a picture of my Liberty Safe vault door at my old house. 5' x 8' room, made using 6" thick hollow-core concrete block, slurried concrete grout in all the voids, with a #5 rebar every other hole. Poured a 4" thick concrete ceiling on it, finished out inside and out, like the rest of the house. Made for a great "safe" room during storms as well.

Browning makes a real nice looking "6-panel" look door, just like regular doors in a lot of homes with a remote release for the locks. Wouldn't even know it was a vault door by looking at it.

mikehessongmh_2008_030377.jpg

13. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Old Rem Fan?

How would you get out of it if debris blocking the door from the outside?

MH - NICE!!!!

14. Auctioneer

It would also be wise to make a book shelf to go in front of the vault door. You don't want some people to see that you have a vault. THe less some people know the better.

15. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide to get be sure to have someone with the equipment & experience to set one of these monsters........Mine weighted 1100# when we set it & not a handle anywhere! Best thing to do would be to order it installed & plan to be gone the day of delivery.

16. sasquach

sasquach Member

Stl Flyn,
    Where did you price the door you mentioned and what make was it

Search tags for this page

vault door forum