1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun values

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz-bang, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I collect 22 collectible rifles and some class three. I ask collectors and dealers at gun shows your very question. It seems in general most guns are down some and it requires some extra haggling to get a sale. How ever the real good stuff like mint condition Winchesters in rarer models seem to be doing well. As far as class three weapons good Thompsons and the most desirable are holding there own and might be coming back some.

Last night a collector from Texas called me up in regards to a matched pair of Remington 22 rifles I have. He simply said name your price. Again the mint and rare hold there own.

As far as trap guns go I would guess there are a lot of good deals.

2. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Are you kidding me? Have you seen the cost of Autoloaders? Guns that not but a few years ago were selling in the $7-800.00 range are now going for well over a grand...The SX3 goes for over $1300.00! Are you kidding me? The Browing Silver is over a thousand? Nothing more than a Gold without the Speedloading and Magazine Cut-off feature....

The only Autoloading guns that have remained reasonable are the Mossbergs and Stoegers....

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It all depends on local and demand like so many things in life.

As stated, excellent specimens of rare and vintage guns will always demand a premium. Once a new model of an existing is released the used price of the previous tends to drop. It may rise again when the newer model owners find they liked previous versions better. Then there are old standbys that gradually increase. There's alot to the market value and trying to predict is no different than buying commodities.

4. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Just based on my own observations it seems that the asking price of modern guns is up slightly, probaby due more to increases in MSRP's than anything. That doesn't mean they are selling for asking prices as there seem to be some deals out there due to the economy and the influx of FFL's that sell at lower margins on the web. I rarely find modern guns in the gun stores cheaper than they can be found on the net, but will buy locally if the price isn't too far off just to support shop owners - we need them folks. Collectible guns seem to be holding their own with some rising and some falling, but not drastically either way in most cases.