1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Value Winchester 1897 16 ga

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I went fishing this week at Lake Eufaula Al but it was too cold to fish today so I went to yard sales. Picked up this gun in fair to good condition. Wood is not cracked but kinda beat up. Action works really good and is tight. Any idea as to the worth. I paid $175.00 for it just to add to the collection but feel that its worth a good bit more than that. Jackie B.

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The model 97 was manufactured from 1897 - 1957. They made more than 1 million of them. So there are variations that are considered rare - such as damascus barrel. The trap models are worth more, the trench guns even more and trench guns with military markings even more. Early 16 gauge models had short chambers (2 9/16) and are the least desirable. According to the 29th Blue book, the standard gun is less than a grand in 100% and $125 at 10%. 60% is $250.

3. Shooting Jack

Thanks Gary, I will have to get the serial number off of it and see when it was made. I would probably rate it at around 75 pct. It is a plain barreled gun no rib. Is measuring the chamber the way to tell or should I be able to tell by serial number? Jackie B.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

shooting jack, it should state on the barrel if it is 2 9/16th's. One thing to keep in mind with 97's is that the cowboy shooters drove the prices up and Blue Book can be underestimated on value. A have only seen one other 16 ga 97 in my life. Keep me inmind if you decide to ever sell.

5. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Dealer here in Tallahassee has a 16 1897 on the shelf for 399.00 I looked at it, action was tight and felt good, blue was a brown patina, wood was good for its age, I didnt look to see the chamber info, if wanted I will get you the dealers info.

Rick

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I would say 400-500 in 75% condition. The 16's in decent shape are not easy to find. My son has taken over the family 16ga M97 and uses it frequently on both ducks and pheasants w/ great success.

7. Shooting Jack

Serial number is 623853 and will look it up when I get back home in Georgia. I'm in Dothan Al right now but will head back home tomorrow. I visited the Headland Skeet and Trap club today and met some really nice folks. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester 1897 16 ga forum