1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun underwater.. how long can I leave it..??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

3 weeks ago my favorite little Charles Daly semi auto "truck gun" slipped into the Tennesse river.. I have been looking for it with 4 250 pound pull magnets and also my underwater fish camera.. I have given up finding it with these methods but thought about maybe buying some scuba gear, I already have a new tank I fill my air rifle with.. my question.. how much longer can it be underwater and still be safe to shoot if I find it? thanks!

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Do not go Scuba Diving without taking the proper course!!! Never go diving alone!!! Its dangerous to start with and I'm thinking that the visability in the Tenn. river is pretty low and would make it even more dangerous. No I don't know how long your gun can stay down there. But Good Luck in finding it. Just stay safe!!! Break em all Jeff

3. hoot619

hoot619 Member

water shouldn't hurt the metal but wood if not sealed will soak up water' Ask a duck hunter. When you find it take all wood off clean metal if you want pour boiling water all over it disassembled when it dries lightly oil wipedown and put it back together. Your stock forearm I don't have a clue. Muzzleloader gets cleaned that way and no sign of rust. Ken U Did anybody else see it go in, hopefully it is still there!

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This one spent (3) days sumberged in a flooded and frozen creek bed. My dad dropped it after shooting a coon while trapping. We searched for that thing for hours the day he did it. We went home to get more tools and rain came in and then cold temps froze it solid. Creek was too deep to search. We finally got it out 2 days later with a heavy magnet. We tore it apart and literally soaked the metal parts in clean motor oil after soaking it with WD-40. Gun has some minor surface rust(had some of that before it got wet) and that's it. We still shoot it alot. I wouldn't give up but be safe doing it. Your start'n to scare some of us with your scuba talk. I assume your a certfied diver and are skilled in river diving?

Here is our lucky retrieval.
    [​IMG]

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

OK.. i'll not try the scuba... it has a black stock so that wont be hurt.. thanks!

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

A customer of mine dropped his 390 in the Manastee river and found it 2 years later. Every oriface that gun had that you could think of was packed with sediment. I soaked it in mineral spirits for a few days, replaced the wood and it was good to go. You wouldn't have known the difference.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=3537519280_scuba_cat_6_xlarge.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

When I was a kid, my buddy and I ware duck hunting, and we tipped the boat over, he dropped his 870 in the Little Sioux river, we spent a couple of days looking for it, and couldn't find it, then the river froze over. The next spring we took a real long corn rake we used to pull the last bit of silage out of the wagons with the handle was about 24 ft long, went back to the same place and after a while got the gun out, we cleaned it up, and it wasn't hardly hurt at all once it got all cleaned up and dried out

8. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

You don't go SCUBA diving using an air tank used to fill your air gun

Ed Yanchok

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I got a metal detector and put the head on a 10 foot stick of conduit, extending the wire. I was then able to use the detector down in the water, and hopefully find the forend I had lost. Apparently the iron was not enough to set off the detector, but if it were a gun I think it would have.

HM

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How much scuba gear can you buy for $300? ..... Probably money ahead buying a new shotgun.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Iron needs oxygen to rust. Water that contains high levels of iron will not turn reddish color unless it is mixed with oxygen. Up here in the north iron country we have a Iron Curtain which is a filter that takes the iron out of the well water. It works on that basis. It oxygenates the water by spraying into one oxygen pressure filled cylinder, which in turn rusts the iron making it larger allowing the filtration system it runs through in another cylinder to be more effective. Maybe the oxygen levels are not high enough in the water naturally to cause oxidation or rust to form. It probably helps if there is oil on the metal before it hits the drink, so to speak.

As far as finding it, get a high power depth finder. One that gives good definition to the bottom. Keep scanning the area you know it is in until you locate it. Throw a marker down just upstream and use what ever method you feel is safe.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I gotta admit, i'd pay pretty good money to watch him attempt a river dive with his Air Rifle re-fill tank. All sorts of pictures in my mind but none of him coming up with his gun. LOL

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Had a guy tie a bunch of chain around himself and use a garden hose to breathe through to try and find the rod and reel he dropped in the lake. His kids sure miss him.

14. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I dont know what is so funny about diving with a scuba tank that i use to fill my air rifle with.. Its brand new, I bought it at a scuba shop and paid about $275.00 for it.. Got it right off the shelf with all the other ones they had..

15. missed some

missed some TS Member

because you need "breathing air" perhaps.

16. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Call a dive shop they will know some one to dive for the gun. I dive and have a underwater metal detector. I am sure there is some one close that will do it for you. Make sure you get price before committing. Tom

17. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Grade D breathing air not just compressor air. There is a significant difference in the 2 types. If you are filling your air gun chamber with grade D breathing air you are wasting your money. Do you also have a secondary escape pack in case you have a failure with the primary O 2 tank. Do yourself and family a favor; buy another gun and leave the scuba diving to the experts.
    Regards, Joe

18. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Normal SCUBA tanks are filled with air, 78% oxygen 21% nitrogen and traces of other gases straight from the atmosphere. They do filter and remove moisture before filling.
    If you are going deeper than 90 feet then they use other mixtures. Myself I don't like being underwater, I would find another way.

19. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

re read the 5th post down

"OK.. i'll not try the scuba"

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

How deep of water are we talking?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how long before a gun rusts

how long for a gun to rust in water