1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun to California---? --FFL to FFL--what else?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Southpaw Sam, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

Need info on sending a trap gun to California. Besides FFl to FFl, what other transactons (paperwork) need to take place? Sam

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If the receiving FFL will accept from an individual, it is no different than the other 49 states. Just enclose a copy of your DL and bill of sale including the serial# of the gun. When it goes from dealer to dealer is when all the extra hoops come into play.

ss

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Most California dealers will only accept from another FFL. An authorization number must be received from the Ca. DOJ for the gun to come into the state. This sounds like a major nuisance but is easily handled by the FFL holders and shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Robert

4. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

FFL to FFL is the law everywhere....

5. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Ibshootin. You are wrong.

6. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Out here in CA just had a Ljutic shipped from individual to FFL. He
    enclosed bill of sale and a copy of his DL. All FFL had to do was FAX him a
    copy of his FFL. That was sent back to FFL in the package.
    Everything has cleared CA DOJ and I pick it up tomorrow.
    No pain no strain.
    Mike C.
    Groveland, CA

7. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

That'a'Boy Mike , set these people straight !

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

It depends on how educated the FFL is in California. Most of them don't stay current with the laws. The ignorant FFL's will make you take your gun to an FFL to do the transfer to California FFL because that's easier than actually checking to see what law states. I know this for a fact, because I went to an ignorant FFL prior to trying an educated one.

I purchased a shotgun from a private party in Texas and he shipped it directly to the California FFL after the California FFL emailed the private party seller with his FFL information. It was a snap, and came off without a hitch.

Kevin

9. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

How bout if my father wants to give me his shotgun?? he lives in Tenn. and I in CA. How should I go about this???

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

All Kalifornia transfers must be accompanied by a letter of authorization from Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer.

11. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

RAT NUTS!!! YOUR KIDDING

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The FFL couldn't care less how much the gun is priced. All he cares about is getting the gun registered with the State of California legally and then making a few bucks himself on the deal.

Go to the website above and search for an FFL nearest to you and call them. They will tell you how to handle it.

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Yes, of course I am! Your father gave you that gun many years ago and he is simply sending you your gun. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

14. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

The same as a rifle inherited from my father. this wonderful state we live in has too many of these darn laws which make the good guys lives harder

15. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I just went through this...the reciever had to go through an FFL, came from an FFL, (MIA) the rest of the shotgun (barrel, trigger, wood) came directly to me!..also just bought an MX14 reciver, had to go through my FFL...ALSO, if it is a private party to private party, there is no fees other than the DROS/Transfer fee, if it is from a dealer to a private party, the California FFL will charge 7 3/4% sales tax on the gun...PM me if you live in the San Diego are and I will send you the contact nbr of my FFL guy (best in SoCal)..LarryB

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I just think it's wrong to send any good guns to a Communist country.

17. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

TO SILVERBULLETEXPRESS:
    SH@# WE NEED THOSE BEAUTIES OVER HERE WE DON'T WANT OUR GUNS JAMMING WHEN WE NEED THEM.

18. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I know 3 local FFL holders in Los Angeles area that accept firearms shipped from out of state individuals.

There is absolutely NO need to send your trap gun from your FFL, you can send it directly to CA FFL yourself.

19. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

If it is going from family member to family member, you could probably take advantage of the provision that allows you to ship a gun ahead, by shipping it to yourself at the other family members address. You could then come out some time.........or maybe the family just happens to open the package before the folks from Tenn. get there.

I did this recently ahead of a trip to Washington State.

You would probably have to use the USPS, FEDEX won't do it.

d

20. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

If you are not in a rush, a car trip to visit Dad is in order.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.