1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Thief..........busted!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by VNVET, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VNVET

VNVET Member

This fellow shows up at out club one day.......says he wants to learn to shoot Skeet. Brings out his Yildiz and gets plenty of coaching from well meaning members. The guy is in his 50's, well spoken and friendly. He joins the club and shoot on several different occasions.

Another member had a Kreighoff K32 San Remo with a tube set and several other guns which he always carried in his SUV. One day he opened the K32 case and the gun is gone. The thief took the gun from inside his vehicle, (tailgate open) and left the case so the theft wasn't discovered for several days.

Several months go by and no sign of the gun. One day the owner of the stolen gun is browsing the website of a nearby gun store who buys guns and has a website with pics of the guns for sale.........guess what he sees! Yep, his K32.

Jumps in his truck, heads to the gun dealer and confirms the gun is his. It seems a 50 year old lady comes in the store with several guns and wants to sell them, the K32 included. It seems the resulting investigation found the thief was going thru a bitter divorce and his collected all his guns and sold them. She apparently didn't know they were stolen.....every single one of them. Just wanting to be vindictive, or get some money from her X.

Come to find out, the thief was a medical DR. at one time but lost his license for some sort of prescription drug ring he was involved in. Now this guy didn't have thief tatooed on his forehead, just a regular, clean cut middle aged guy, sort of like the guy next door. It seems, in hindsite, he came to the club with thievery on his mind and once he stole the gun, never came back.

Now you think this story has a happy ending..........NOT!!!

The owner of the K32 turned in a claim on his homeowners insurance and they paid the MAX allowed, since he didn't have a "Rider" for personal property....$2,500. He cashed the check, thinking he'll never see his gun again, and $2,500 is better than nothing and just accepts the loss.

Now, it seems the K32 is the property of the Insurance Co. and will most likely be sold at auction, so to get his gun back he'll have to buy it again.....at public auction.

People sometimes are not who they seem to be and this could easly have happened to any of us........think about it next time you leave your gun unattended and out of your site.

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

It is the property of the ins co but but if his agent won't intervene, he needs to get on the phone and work his way up the ladder until he finds the person at the ins co that will sell it back to him. I know of several cases where the ins co contacted the insured and offered it back to him. If he his insuance agent is a good agent, he should be able to get it taken care of for your friend w/o the friend having to do it himself.

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

There's nothing worse than a thief. I'm glad that the ahole got caught. My question is, Why won't the ins. co. just let the owner of the K32 give them their 2500.00 back in exchange for the gun? It seams to me that the ins.co. are thieves also!

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

And what about Perazzi? Did you see their new prices for "08"...

5. VNVET

VNVET Member

I'm not a Krieghoff man but this was an extremely nice gun with a full set of Kolar tubes. I would guess the value at $8,000 to $9,000. I remember it had a K80 trigger and beautiful wood. The owner still has the tubes and the Krieghoff case since they were not taken. The thief probably thought by leaving the case it would be several days before the theft would be discovered, and it was.

6. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

We had a similar problem occur at out club several months ago. One of the board members was there on an "off" day practicing. Went into the clubhouse to use the restroom, leaving his gun on the rack just outside the door, one of the neighbors snuck around the building and disappeared with the shotgun. Another fellow in the area saw the neighbor sneaking around the end of the building "carrying something" but since he couldn't say it was definately a shotgun the sheriff would not pursue a warrant to search for the missing gun.

To date, no sign of the missing gun though the scum neighbor ended up back in jail for some other reason. Lesson, don't be too trusting around the club. Secure your stuff.

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Did they put the thieving SOB in jail???

Jim

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The insurance company will offer it bvack to him as that is pretty much SOP. As dar as a K-32 being worth 8,000 to 9,000 not if it had a K-80 trigger, wood, a set of unfired tubes and the gun iself was unfired. Jeff

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The insurance company might offer the gun back to the insured as long as there isn't a gun guy around. I have seen where recovered arms that had long since been paid off ended up in the hands of a agent or one of his buddies!

ec90t

10. VNVET

VNVET Member

Here's what a San Remo Krieghoff looks like. This is a K80.

http://www.krieghoff.co.uk/189.html

The stolen gun has as best I remember, a gold bird on the locking lever, a pair of gold birds on the trigger guard and a crown inlay in gold on the bottom of the receiver. The wood is striking and with a Kolar tube set. Think it's worth $8,000 or $9,000? I do, but as I said I don't know Krieghoffs, I shoot P guns myself, none of which have that level of engraving. I always wanted one though.

Don't know anymore about the investigation except the ATF has the case, and don't know if any arrests have been made.

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Thanks for the post. I have always been most casual about my guns, believing that shooters were an honest lot. However, you bring up the point that there are more than shooters at our event. I will now secure my guns much more carefully.

ps I hope they hang the fu%$ing thief.

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

My dad's insurance agent stated that he did NOT have to offer the gun back to my dad since he had already paid the claim. My dad took the time to read him the contract word for word. Then my dad told the agent his attorney would read the contract much SLOWER in court and the agent would be required to be there for the entire trial. The agent somehow found the gun again (it got lost again after the agent got it back) and gave it to my dad upon presentation of the check at the police station. After another investigation by the state insurance board, the agent is a FORMER agent. He is being investigated by the police for other thefts. Omaha

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The Insurance company is only entitled to amount paid out on the claim. The excess would be returned to the insured if sold to a third party. To much BS for the Ins. Co. to do otherwise. Crooked agent another story, just a thief with a different name and they go to jail also. I am sure that if the insured offered to return the $$ paid he would get his gun back.

But some of you will rave on so have at it.

Don

14. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

BIGDON:

Ok since you are an Insurance guy and also I can come to your defense that you are an honest one from what I know of you.

I thought the same as you said if the insured person gave the money back for what was stolen then they would get it back.

I know thee is crooks in all walk's of life but I think you are one of the many few good guy's in your buisness.

Foggy

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Let's say you have a vehicle with a lot of extras. Like a 4x4 with custom axles, built engine, rock crawler box, the whole nine yards. And you made the assumption you;re covered because you have comprehensive. Then one day your truck gets stolen. You get paid the max of Blue Book (if that) and not for the extras, which is but a fraction of what you have into it. Later your truck gets recovered. You want to buy it back. No dice. The insurance company is going to auction it off. It's their property now. You can bid on your own truck, of course. If the truck fetches more at auction than your claim, the extra money belongs to the insurance company. This is exactly how State Farm operates.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you want paid for add ons then they have to be added and a premium paid for them. Unless added to the policy you will get paid at time of loss for a stock, off the line vehicle. Moral of the story don't add items to your car without telling your agent or insurance company and making sure they are covered.

Brian; A call to your state Ins. Bureau might get you a different answer. If you had told your agent and it didn't get done you might have a claim against him/her.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.