1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun that shoots high and changing sights

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Try a magnetic Hi-Viz with the largest light bar that come with it.. On my MX-8B I had to move my comb to shoot to the same POI..

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

As perazzibigbore notes, you can use any of the add on front sights such as Hi-Viz, or Easy Hit which, since they sit somewhat higher, will lower that POI.
    Or go to Brownells web site-they sell larger and higher front beads that will also do the trick.

Jim R

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

To follow up on PerazziBB's thread, you can also make a spacer out of double sided tape (it's provided with the Tru-Glo sights) put it on the rib first and get the sight even higher up off the barrel to make you shoot even lower. It may not take as much as you think. It's better than trying to guess how high to float the target above the sight. You'll get it.

Also, with the Hi-Viz or TruGlo (I have a Hi-Viz on my doubles barrel and a TruyGlo on the single) you can leave your stock sights in place. It'll hide the front sight and you can still use the mid bead to check you mount alignment. The Tru-Glo sights are of smaller diameter than the HI-Viz if that is a factor. If you're leery of double-sided tape attachments, supplement it with some silicon glue down the sides. If you're careful you can't even see the glue. Both sights are available from Brownells for about $20 plus the usual. Good luck.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Frank, how much too high does it shoot? What's going to work is dependent on that number. Also, if any of this bead stuff is going to work, you will have to be a "bead shooter" it seems to me. If you are a "look exclusively at the bird" shooter, a new rib or lowered comb is in your future.

Neil

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Neil.. I can't see a bead anymore.. if I can see the target.. but what I do see.. and shoot off.. is the black blob of the end of the barrel.. A popsicle stick.. painted black would serve as a front sight for me.. This summer.. on my bunker gun.. I tried a magnetic Hi-Viz.. on a really dark,overcast day.. I could see the front of the barrel just fine then.. and yes.. became a green bead shooter..BUT..the comb took quite an adjustment to get my POI back.. As the eyes get worse and worse.. you do what you have to do..to stay in the game..

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

How about a Keensights (link above) rib? Bill Malcolm

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

While Vicky does excellent ribs.. Sometimes.. only a front sight change will be enough to yield desired results..

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Without knowing how high it,s very hard to help

9. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

what Big Bore said get a magnetic Hi-Viz sight it will lower POI by as much as 3 inches. Cheap fix.
    Fran

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Frank,

"How high does the gun shoot" is an important question.

Another is, what do you see when the gun is mounted - a lot of rib surface?

Finally, how high do you want the gun to shoot or do you want it to shoot "flat" with the POA and POI the same?

Rollin

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Frank, how much too high does it shoot? What's going to work is dependent on that number. Also, if any of this bead stuff is going to work, you will have to be a "bead shooter" it seems to me. If you are a "look exclusively at the bird" shooter, a new rib or lowered comb is in your future.

Neil

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Neil.. I can't see a bead anymore.. if I can see the target.. but what I do see.. and shoot off.. is the black blob of the end of the barrel.. A popsicle stick.. painted black would serve as a front sight for me.. This summer.. on my bunker gun.. I tried a magnetic Hi-Viz.. on a really dark,overcast day.. I could see the front of the barrel just fine then.. and yes.. became a green bead shooter..BUT..the comb took quite an adjustment to get my POI back.. As the eyes get worse and worse.. you do what you have to do..to stay in the game..

13. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

How about a Keensights (link above) rib? Bill Malcolm

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

While Vicky does excellent ribs.. Sometimes.. only a front sight change will be enough to yield desired results..

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Without knowing how high it,s very hard to help

16. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

what Big Bore said get a magnetic Hi-Viz sight it will lower POI by as much as 3 inches. Cheap fix.
    Fran

17. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Frank,

"How high does the gun shoot" is an important question.

Another is, what do you see when the gun is mounted - a lot of rib surface?

Finally, how high do you want the gun to shoot or do you want it to shoot "flat" with the POA and POI the same?

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.