1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Tests Magazine ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MTA Tom, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I've subscribed to Gun Tests Magazine for a few years. I like the lack of advertising, and their willingness to actually criticize a gun. However, I don't like their willingness to make claims when it appears they don't know what they're talking about. This seems to be getting worse with time.

The January, 2010, issue tests three trap guns, an Ithaca Model 37 trap, a Browning BPS Micro Trap and an H&R Topper Trap. Here are three quotes from the article:

"An important characteristic of a trap shotgun is that it delivers a pattern higher than the point of aim. This helps compensate for a target that is rising quickly, but it also helps when the target is falling."

Discussing 16 yard trap, "Figuring that by the time an average shooter sees the bird and fires a shot,the clay has likely traveled about 9 yards, we decided to pattern our guns from a distance of 25 yards."

"Reducing length of pull is undoubtedly the most popular modification applied to a shotgun."

Do others share my opinion?

2. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Well that's a real head scratcher.

A high-shooting gun helps when the target is falling?

25 yards is the distance at which 16 yd targets are usually taken?

As to shortening length of pull, the way it's worded sounds like a blanket recommendation.

All nonsense. Whoever wrote that must not have *EVER* shot trap.

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I cancelled my subscription because I felt the reviewers were not
    qualified to make their observations. I disagreed over to many
    comments made about someone's product

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I gave up on the magazine after two or three issues. Same reason.

Neil.

5. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I think somebody at that magazine is full of something...Bill

6. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

I bought a pistol once,based largely on their review.A glowing review ,In their opinion.I wont slam the brand here but the but the pistol turned out
    to be a unreliable piece of junk.
    Reguards
    Jim

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Oh, Jim! You didn't buy one of those Norinkos they loved,did you? All you had to do was shake one to know everything was not quite right in their QC department.

Neil

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Curiously, a recent issue published info that the LA Police had major quality problems with Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm pistols. Then they gave the same model a high recommendation. Not sure which is/was more important. Any gun review - regardless of source - seems to be largely a matter of the writer's opinion, i.e., short on facts. I trust the reviews in the NRA publications for what they are worth. Regards, Ed

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Look at the bright side. Backfence targets are obviously taken at 36 yards.. modified should work great!!

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

A friend had a subscription which he then handed down to me. Paper texture was fine for the outhouse, newsprint left smears on flesh, content was sufficient to act as a laxative.

A "publication" worthy of the outhouse.

11. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I exchanged pleasant emails with Roger Eckstine, the author of the Gun Tests article with the three quoted statements.

I was somewhat taken aback when he told me he was a fellow NRA/ATA Certified Trap Coach.

12. JOND

JOND TS Member

AS always Tom ,you are "Spot On" ! JOND

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.