1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stims, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stims

stims TS Member

I took my wife for a shooting lesson yesterday, now shes hooked! I want to buy her a gun for sporting clays,.20 ga semi. shes small about 110lbs suggestions? opinions? recommendations. (don't want to break the bank)

Thanks

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Remington 1100 ther are a few on here for sale.

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Best 2 choices would be a Beretta 391 or a Remington 1100 as Bill suggested. Go with which ever fits her best and you can do whatever you need to make it fit her better. Hope this helps. Josh

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Some 20ga have as much kick as a 12ga does. Depends on the shell you use. You men with experience might help stims out with some comments on guages and shells. Lots of varibles. Started my Daughter out with a 12ga with featherlite shells... didnt kick near like a 20ga.

WesleyB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is possible to load down a 12 ga shell so that it has less recoil than most factory 20 ga shells. Multiplying the velocity by the shot weight will give a reasonably accurate measurement of the recoil the shell will produce.

Pat Ireland

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Pat,
    Are 20ga guns lighter that the 12ga in weight?

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

when I loaded down the 1100 20ga that I USED to own, they wouldn't eject from the damn thing.....

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Keep in mind that most autoloaders are "gas operated".....

Started my wife off with a 12 ga. 1100...later a top single which she says is easier to load and unload....she never once complained about felt recoil....then again, she shoots lite 1 oz. loads.

Curt

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

If I may make a suggestion here. Look into a 12ga Beretta 391 RL parallel with a 28" barrel. These guns are nearly indestructable are are designed for a person of smaller stature. The weight is going to be very manageble as is the recoil. Spend a little money having it fitted to her to make it more enjoyable.

If you don't want to chase hulls, just lay in a supply of 1180fps 1 oz shells.

ec90t

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

2nd the beretta 3901 reduced length, if you wife is small and has small hands. She may have the same problem as my wife. Which is over looked. Triger to grip distance. I ended up with a wenig semi inletted new american ladies stock. when my wife first tried this stock, she smiled. " I can grip it". Wenig makes these for the 1100s als0. That being said. If I had known about the 3901Reduced length with spacers and adjustable comb. I would have bought that! You just cant find a better gun new with the adjustability for the price. In hind sight I wish I got the wenig with adjustable comb installed.

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0040-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Mike at silverdollar firearms has one. scroll down on his web site

11. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

a MEC Sizemaster reloader cranking out 7/8 oz 12 gauge shells at 1190 fps fired from a used remington 11-87 sporting clays with a 26 inch light contour barrel, just might be the ticket. felt recoil from this combo was significantly less than my 20 gauge 1100 LT. better yet, whole package can be had around $650. FWIW. JM

12. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Lots of guys recommending 12ga. with lighter loads over the 20ga., at least to start off with. Makes sense to me.
    Chances are if she starts brand new with 20ga., she will miss a whole lot more targets and become discouraged.
    IMHO, a 20ga for sporting clays shooting, as a beginner, is a waste of money.
    Chances are, she would have to be quite proficient to consistantly hit sporting with the 20ga.
    The Beretta would be an excellent choice.

Good luck, puablo

13. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I think that when a fellow buys a gun for his wife/daughter/girlfriend, any gun, he should be paying for it, but not choosing it. A little informed input into her decision is fine, but let the shopping, choice and decision be hers. Her ownership of the decision will go far toward her becoming your shooting companion, which is your eventual goal. The Beretta 391 RL Parallel (reduced length stock, parallel comb) and Remington 1100 LT 20-GA/11-87 20-GA are excellent choices. A 12-GA 1100 is a tad front-heavy for her left arm to hold up, but let her decide. A pump gun would not be my first choice, due to more recoil. A used 20-GA Browning or Beretta over-under could work well. Phil E

14. coho

coho Member

I’m in the same dilemma with my 10 year old son. I’ve already got him a recoilless trap-(I know, everyone just sat back horrified that someone would still be shooting one) but he can’t hold it up yet anywat. I shot it last week and was amazed how fun it was to shoot a gun that has no recoil. when the gun fires all you hear is the spring so It sounds like a pellet gun. does anybody know What the downfall of the recoilless was, it seems like such a good idea.

15. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Another vote for the 3901-RL - come with an adjustable comb and short grip to trigger distance. As for soft shooting - about as soft as they come.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.