1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Storage

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I am curious as to how fellow shooters store their guns in their cabinets or safes. Do you dry fire the gun to take the tension off the spring or leave it cocked? This was discussed at our club with differing views about the process. Thanks. Ed

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I de-cock the hammer spring(s) (no need to dry fire my guns), break'em down, all surfaces are wiped of glove and fingerprints with an old rag with years of wiping in them, a dry bore mop takes out debris, boxed in their cases, and store in a gun safe in my garage. The safe DOES have a "Hot Rod" and a "Dry-Z-Air" to keep moisture at bay....Bob Dodd

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If I don't break down my guns, I typically dry fire against a snap cap. You didn't ask, but I'll also add that I use the "wooley" snap caps that are lightly oiled and left in the chambers of my various firearms to prevent the possibility of dust rust, wipe them down and put them each into a "Sackups" silicone sock after their use.

On the couple break action guns that I do break down, I'll release the release lever.

Jay

4. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

After claening and oiling I place them in a Silicone Gun Sock then back in the case it goes. I'm not really hung on standing them up right on the butpad in a clothes closit, safe or cabinet. The oil seeps down into the wood of the stock. I do try to use the oil sparingly but no matter what it still will seep. I used to hang them on a cross rack with a lock. I never had that seeping problem. But when people out there decided to start stealing things more so then they were I started to case them and lock em up. It's called "out of sight out of mind" I will live with the seapage, but can't live with out me guns. Rich(inPeoria,A.Z.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.