1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun storage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have a question regarding storing my shotguns. Is is safe to store them in hard gun cases like Americase for extended periods of time. I lightly oil the guns after each use. I know a gun safe with a dehumidifier would be best but I do not have room for one. I live in a dry climate but I still worry about trapping in moisture.

JMAC

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the Americase with compartments, or the ones with the molded foam - it makes a difference.

3. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I am talking about the ones with the compartments. No foam in mine.
    jmac

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Putting a hot or very warm gun into a case regardless of lining material will promote condensation causing rust or pitting. you should always wait for the gun to cool down before putting it away.

It'a a good idea on occasion open your case remove your gun and let the case air out to remove any mositure that may have accumulated. Oiling your guns are the best way to protect them but even oiled they are at risk in high humidity area's.

I live in a state that requires all guns must be locked in an approved device which keeps the wrong person from touching or taking them.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.